Driveway Project

Soldato
@nick.lidgett which of these grid systems would you recommend to take the weight of a very large motor home, as well as cars?

Both Adpave 40 and Adpave 50 has a load bearing capabilities of 150 tonnes per m2.

Obviously Adpave is just a brand name, alternatives are available like Bodpave.

To achieve the load bearing figures its important the sub base and any subsequent layers are done correctly.

Soldato
for getting shot of your waste look up grab hire from a local merchant (Jewsons, Travis, Budgens and the like) I was paying £180 for 9 tons of ground waste (concrete and soil) back last summer when I stripped our garden.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the helpful posts guys.

I've managed to arrange collection of the soil through a family friend for roughly £100 so I'm happy with that.

Had a guy on Gumtree come round and deliver a load of spare hardcore to me this weekend and I now know what needs purchasing and the order to do it. Planning to do the entire driveway over 3 days in the second week of April!

Soldato
OP
For those of you desperate to find out how this turned out;

Pre-work

Hardcore I had delivered

Digging out the soil

Laying the hardcore

Laying the MOT

2017-04-07_14.13.21.jpg

Compacted down
2017-04-07_15.24.41.jpg

Gravel going on
2017-04-07_15.58.55.jpg

Testing it all!
2017-04-07_18.12.16.jpg

I'm absolutely exhausted - the entire thing was done over the space of about 24 hours and pretty much all by myself. I work in IT and this is my first go at anymore more challenging than IKEA furniture so I'm happy with the results.

The gravel needs to be levelled and we need to decide what to do with the final 0.75m.

The soil will hopefully go via my BIL over the next few days. I did want to go for the gravel grid but the pricing put me off, we will see if it's a mistake or not!

It looks miles better than before and my only grip is the raised water company access drain but I'm not sure what I can really do about that.

Costings (so far)

2x MOT and 2x gravel - £180
Compactor hire - £29
Hardcore - £Free
Digging - £Free
Weed membrane - £26
Soil removal - £100 (tbc)

Total to be just over £300 all in.

Back
Top Bottom