Driveway Security

Soldato
Apologies if there is a thread already but I couldn't find one.

So along with home security we are also looking at securing the driveway to deter theft of cars.
Had an independent come and quote today (I was asleep as between nights) but has recommended aluminium as a security gate. All fitted I believe it'd be around £5k. plans will come through tomorrow.

What have others used? Is aluminium a better option for security etc?!

The gate would be remote via phones so can work with AppleCar play when approaching to open the gate on arrival.
Also has fob access and other security measures.

Just after some general help and advise :)

Just throwing in Automatic Bollards as a decent option.
Not sure if the same price could see automation the same as the aluminium gates though.

Does this company have feedback and cases that show how these aluminium gates hold up to determined car thieves.

Last edited:
Depends if the thieves bring an angle grinder. Aluminium won't last seconds. Or just ram it off the hinges I suppose :D

Aluminium isn't great for security. I had a small key safe made of aluminium, which the code was lost for. Took me 5 minutes to open it with a hacksaw and screwdriver.

Probably needs to be steel or iron. The heavier the better.

Last edited:
I did think aluminium maybe wouldn’t be ideal but without being there and part of the conversation I wasn’t able to ask many questions.

Tomorrow I shall enquire further and also look at bollards. It’s a minefield of information

coincidentally - guy down the road had a steel rolling gate, on track, installed this summer (imported from france he'd told me, about 1m tall) radio/app controlled
this evening was open and saw that someone seems to have jemyed/damaged the mechanism at the lock end, and (speculating) can you just manually roll them open in that case.

Just throwing in Automatic Bollards as a decent option.

This came up on a security thing at work - anything other than properly high end gates offer little deterrence to car thieves while decent bollards are quite effective if installed properly apparently (i.e. no weak points like low walls). Obviously bollards aren't useful if you also want to prevent people getting easy access on foot.

Back
Top Bottom