Driving an auto (hybrid)

Associate
Hello, my dad got a new Qashqai E-power (hybrid) and he is having trouble driving it. I don't drive so wondering if anyone could help:

6c7c67192e7c4e89b5048c28b79997b7.jpg

When you come up to a set of lights, I would have thought he would put it into park and use the handbrake, but he's saying when he did that yesterday the car wouldn't move and got very flustered with people beeping at him to move. He's also had issues with sitting at lights with his foot on the brake and the car lurching forward (presumably still in gear/D) and nearly rear-ending the car in front.

I'm just curious what the correct procedure should be, I understand the Qashqai is very popular (legit see them everywhere) so hopefully someone here can help :).

He isn't using the e-pedal or the EV mode, he is driving it like a regular automatic but is now a bit scared (he's in his early 70s) to drive it.

It's a Motability car for my sister, I feel terrible as I encouraged him to go for the e-power version and now wish he just stuck with the regular one :/

Many thanks!

Caporegime
Turn up to a set of lights, press brake pedal in and done.

It has auto hold.

As in press in and let go of the brake, when you accelerate the car will automatically let go of the brake. Same theory on a hill etc.

You will see the auto hold light come on, underneath the parking break. I don't think I've used the handbrake in my new car yet! Probably bad practice though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Turn up to a set of lights, press brake pedal in and done.

It has auto hold.
Exactly this.

The car will manage everything. If it’s lurching then he might not be applying enough brake pressure but you definitely don’t want to put it in park or use the handbrake at a stop.

Could be worth going to the dealer if he thinks there is a real problem. Worst case they could help guide him through the car.

Soldato
Exactly this.

The car will manage everything. If it’s lurching then he might not be applying enough brake pressure but you definitely don’t want to put it in park or use the handbrake at a stop.

Could be worth going to the dealer if he thinks there is a real problem. Worst case they could help guide him through the car.

Unlikely to be a fault with the car, more likely the driver doesn't understand how these modern cars now operate, because they are designed to do most of it automatically. I don't have a recent car, but my understanding is you basically don't need to touch any of the buttons when you come to a halt, just the brake pedal, and it will automatically put the handbrake on with the auto hold, and automatically take it off again when you press the accelerator to move off.

The best thing to do would be for him to go back to the dealer, explain the issues he's having, and ask for a quick driving technique lesson. You could go along with him to understand it and help him remember, because it is "new" driving technique, and not like an old automatic.

Soldato
car won't manage everything - if you have inadvertently engaged electric parking brake - google immediately shows 'e-power automatic handbrake'

To apply: Pull the switch (A) up (1) the indicator light will illuminate.
To release: With the power switch ON, depress the brake pedal and push the switch (A) down (2). The indicator light will turn off.

When the Automatic brake hold function is active (Auto Hold indicator is green), under the following conditions, the Electric Parking Brake will automatically be applied and the braking force of Automatic brake hold will be released:
  • The braking force is applied by the Automatic brake hold function for 3 minutes or longer.

• The Automatic brake hold function is not designed to hold the vehicle on a steep hill or slippery road. Never use the Automatic brake hold function when the vehicle is stopped on a steep hill or a slippery road. Failure to do so may cause the vehicle to move.

Caporegime
Going into park and putting the parking brake on at traffic lights is silly. Leave it on D and hold the brakes, or use the auto hold.

Worrying they don't know how to keep the car stopped without rolling forward, just press the pedal...

Soldato
its just new car syndrome, sometimes you get in a panic and what comes naturally normally just dissapears when you are stressed. The fact he did a test drive sucessfully shows he basically knows what he is doing so it just comes down to having a play.

as already noted just go to an empty carpark or quiet private road with him and get used to the car. my 1st time driving an automatic - it was electric but am sure it would have happened regardless - the lady with me during the test drive must have had kittens when slowing down to turn at a junction i suddenly did an emergency stop when trying to use the clutch!. luckily the person behind me was not tailgaiting otherwise there may have been 1 less jag ipace on the road!.

does the car have the option to choose between creep or hold once you are stopped and foot is off the pedal or is that not an option? if so personally i think hold is a far better option but some disagree.

on my ipace i never use the handbrake - so much so i didnt even know where it was for the 1st 6 months of owning. our i3 however we do use it when parking (but not at lights etc) because the auto electronic brake just does not feel as reliable in the i3. but it is the same for both cars when out and about driving, just use the auto stuff and use accelerate / brake pedals.

once he is used to that then there is also 1 pedal driving. maybe do not overwhelm it at 1st but i believe the QQ does offer this feature. again its a marmite thing but me, i love it..... I only brake very occasionally and the rest of the time i let regen slow the car down. It also makes you read the road a bit more in advance. I would not confuse him with this right away however

I am convinced once he is used to it there will be no going back. I like the modern features on cars myself but for older drivers imo they are priceless. Add to that the E QQ, whilst not my favourite hybrid, will save some fuel as well thanks to its regen. I think you did the right thing by encouraging him to go for that over a conventional ICE

Last edited:
Soldato
As said above press the auto hold button so it is lit up and then it's active, when you stop keep your foot on the brake and a green a will appear on the dash to show it is auto holding and then you can take your foot off the brake. When you want to move off just press the accelerator, thats how mine works in the new nissan juke.

Last edited:
Associate
The useful information has already been posted by various users. But jusy my 2p.

Never put an auto car in park when you're at traffic lights and definitely don't put the ebrake on.

Driving an auto is completely different to a manual when it comes to stopping. If they have a torque converter they'll try to move at a stop all the time, just keep your foot on the brake or use the auto hold which most autos have these days.

My BMW has a button to turn it on so it's automatic, but you have to do it every time you get in. My old Mercedes, you pushed the brake pedal down harder than normal and it would turn on, with a notification on the dash.

Associate
if you lightly press the brake the auto hold won't come on so when you release the brake pedal it will move forwards. Press the brake a bit harder and the A light should come on the dash and when you release the brake it wont move. Then press the accelerator pedal and the auto hold will release and the car will move forwards.

Associate
in my car (bmw 1 series) the auto hold seems a little juddery when stopping and pulling away, so it might be that causing the issue. I now just hold my foot on the break when stopped, lifting off the break, you gently move away. With the autohold i felt just moving forward a little was a little more trouble, as you have to accelerate enough to get the break to release, and it seems like id fly forwards... I switched off auto hold within an hour of owning the car and havent thought about it since, so i may well have got used to it. Now i just put on the handbrake when i'm parked.

Associate
in my car (bmw 1 series) the auto hold seems a little juddery when stopping and pulling away, so it might be that causing the issue. I now just hold my foot on the break when stopped, lifting off the break, you gently move away. With the autohold i felt just moving forward a little was a little more trouble, as you have to accelerate enough to get the break to release, and it seems like id fly forwards... I switched off auto hold within an hour of owning the car and havent thought about it since, so i may well have got used to it. Now i just put on the handbrake when i'm parked.

That's how most torque converter autos work. The engine needs to get the torque converter spinning enough to move the car, hence the delay. You just need to learn how much throttle to give it to pull away and wait.

Man of Honour
That's how most torque converter autos work. The engine needs to get the torque converter spinning enough to move the car, hence the delay. You just need to learn how much throttle to give it to pull away and wait.

TC in my Navara is pretty nice for getting going, though occasionally get some random delay for whatever reason but it is rare. The CVT in the Qashqai though is another matter - you really have to get used to how much throttle to give it and wait :(

Back
Top Bottom