Driving is dead :(

Soldato
No random changes. All 60 nsl until you get to a village where they drop to 30.
If they, and you, find it too confusing then time to crack out that bus pass!
I am generalising as I have not (recently?) driven that stretch of road, if ever. I do have a bus pass mouldering in my wallet, I also have about a million miles of driving under my belt since 1970.
I object to your generalisations as you no doubt object to mine so we will continue our seperate ways at pace. :)

Caporegime
I am generalising as I have not (recently?) driven that stretch of road, if ever. I do have a bus pass mouldering in my wallet, I also have about a million miles of driving under my belt since 1970.
I object to your generalisations as you no doubt object to mine so we will continue our seperate ways at pace. :)

It's not one stretch of road. Its literally every 60 and 70 nsl. And literally every elderly driver.
You may say you object to it but you yourself attempted to justify it.
You may well have a million miles of driving, I probably do too. That doesn't mean those miles have been driven in a competent or considerate manner.

Soldato
Move out of London.

Or any city, they are all horrible places to drive. I had to drive through Leeds a couple of weeks back at mid day on a Thursday and it was about as much fun as being at work on a Monday.

Luckily where I live it's all NSL A & B Roads pretty much as soon as i'm off the driveway but there are still morons everywhere.

Tea Drinker
Don
No point having a drivers car in London. You need a sitters car with comfortable seats, good tech, suspension and tyres to drive over everything and get out of my way presence.

Discovery is perfect

Soldato
Motorcycling kills car driving more like.
The same happened to me, I was car mad until I got a motorbike, ironically I was always anti bike.
Motorcycling gave me what I’ve been looking for in cars, lightweight simplicity with plenty of involvement.
Plus affordable and do all my own repairs like the 90s car days.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
No point having a drivers car in London. You need a sitters car with comfortable seats, good tech, suspension and tyres to drive over everything and get out of my way presence.

Discovery is perfect

Not even in London and it is something I'm gravitating to - big comfy seat, decent sound system, engine with plenty of torque coming in early and a decent auto box.

Man of Honour
I’m currently sitting in the Linder Motorsport hotel at the Nurburgring having spend today blaring around Spa with mates. Tomorrow I’ve a closed session at the Ring with said mates and other like minds, for which I’ve rented RS Megane to keep the risk down and then a great drive home via Zee Autobahn on Tuesday. No crazy driving but hooned down here Saturday morning.

Driving can still be ace but it does need planning.

Man of Honour
I open this thread then get a recommendation on YouTube for the latest video by The London Dash Cam which is basically this thread incarnate LOL. Can't link due to swearing.

Soldato
Driving in large towns and cities sucks due to traffic levels. Unfortunately the alternatives are less appealing in most places currently. Many will jump to the conclusion of more roads, more lanes but this will just drive more people into cars (sorry about the pun) and make driving worse. Ultimately the better option is for the alternatives to be more appealing, such as cycling short journeys, dedicated bus routes that bypass congestion, higher frequency public transport and just as important, lower cost public transport - whose going to jump on a bus when they already own a car? Electric cars make this even more challenging and will further increase car usage.

I haven't driven in inner London for about 10 years now and I may need to in a couple of weeks time due to train times not being early enough on a Sunday. I'm really not looking forward to it.

Back
Top Bottom