Driving is dead :(

Soldato
You've never done a long enough commute. After a few hours sitting in traffic the involving experience becomes a lot less desirable.
I think if your commute involves a few hours in traffic, you need to change jobs :cry: . Manuals are harder work, but I missed my last manual car when I went to dct, it does lack involvement, even in the manual mode.

Man of Honour
I think if your commute involves a few hours in traffic, you need to change jobs :cry: . Manuals are harder work, but I missed my last manual car when I went to dct, it does lack involvement, even in the manual mode.

Not really a choice for everyone.

I have to say I quite like the TC automatic in my pickup, one of the reasons I drive it a lot even when I don't need to. It feels like it is working with you much more rather than the VW DCT which feels like it is deciding for itself what the best thing is to do and you feel more like you are lead by it for want of a better way to put it. One of the reasons I've not just moved over to the Tiguan.

I just have no intention these days of dealing with the kind of traffic I do while driving a manual - you might not really notice it until comparing the two side by side but the auto just removes so much stress. Kind of like the whole 60Hz vs 120+Hz monitor thing - you don't really appreciate it when you are used to a 60Hz monitor but once you get used to 120+Hz it isn't ideal going back.

Last edited:
Soldato
Must admit I used to love a good manual. Civic type r was superb for that back in 2002. But since having a 340i and now Golf R I wouldn't go back to a manual, unless it was very special.
Tbh Type R must be one of the more miserable "daily" manuals given it only really woke up at like 8k RPM :D

Soldato
If your commute involves a lot of traffic/crawling speed I think it's definitely worth the auto.
Got to say I went to Silverstone over the weekend which is two hours one way and most of the other drivers are fine.
Did nearly have someone get destroyed by a lorry after getting confused at a roundabout and try to stop over the line in the middle of the roundabout?
Lorry driver was alert luckily but it was pretty close.

Man of Honour
Must admit I used to love a good manual. Civic type r was superb for that back in 2002. But since having a 340i and now Golf R I wouldn't go back to a manual, unless it was very special.

One of my friends, well more my brother's friend really, has a coupe style Civic Type R which there doesn't seem to be much about online that I can find. Absolutely gorgeous looking vehicle in deep purple with smokey black trimming. He spent ridiculous amounts of money on it.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
On reflection, I think that driving pleasure has changed.
When I was younger (30+ years ago), roads had far less traffic, no speed cameras and far fewer restrictions. On top of that, drivers were a good deal more polite.
So the odd "spot of fun" was possible.

Now, well things have changed. There's just too much traffic and a lack of general politeness. I struggle to understand how most newer "performance cars" ever get the chance to really stretch their legs.

To get pleasure from driving, I am to take pleasure from driving by driving in a different style. For example:
- my toy/commuter car is a personalised MX5. Roof down it's a lovely place to be, and it's far easier to drive at realistic road speeds and get fun out of it
- deliberately being polite, e.g. build in more breaking distance than I really need, to make it easier for drivers coming the other way to turn right infront of me, or pull out from side roads
- Aiming to be precise in how I drive. Doesn't need to be done whilst breaking the speed limit. It's still possible to drive smoothly and accurately and take pleasure from doing that well

Soldato
I think the increase in traffic is a massive difference alone.
Way more cars to come across who could be towing a caravan or just plodding along but also where I live (wye valley) the rise of road cycling as a hobby makes a massive difference.
On a nice weekend later morning it's not uncommon to come across 50+ cyclists in a 20 minute journey. I'm not knocking cyclists they have the right to be there enjoying their day too but it means you can't really have a 'spirited drive' at peak times.
I've also recently bought a MK2 Mx-5 and think that's a good suit for roads today. You can have fun driving it but don't need to go fast to get to that point, especially important when you could be coming around the corner and have 5 bikes suddenly appear.

Soldato
On reflection, I think that driving pleasure has changed.
When I was younger (30+ years ago), roads had far less traffic, no speed cameras and far fewer restrictions. On top of that, drivers were a good deal more polite.
So the odd "spot of fun" was possible.

Now, well things have changed. There's just too much traffic and a lack of general politeness. I struggle to understand how most newer "performance cars" ever get the chance to really stretch their legs.

To get pleasure from driving, I am to take pleasure from driving by driving in a different style. For example:
- my toy/commuter car is a personalised MX5. Roof down it's a lovely place to be, and it's far easier to drive at realistic road speeds and get fun out of it
- deliberately being polite, e.g. build in more breaking distance than I really need, to make it easier for drivers coming the other way to turn right infront of me, or pull out from side roads
- Aiming to be precise in how I drive. Doesn't need to be done whilst breaking the speed limit. It's still possible to drive smoothly and accurately and take pleasure from doing that well
This is almost a universal story titled 'what it feels like to grow up'.

Back
Top Bottom