Driving to London, am i unnecessarily anxious ?

As title i am driving to South Norwood from Cornwall , the last time i got a little intimidated with the whole experience , thinking tomorrow a better option than today due to Crystal palace game ? will i survive this journey , how straightforward is it and when a good time to set off ?
(5 hours apparently) my youngest has bought a house there and its got lots of parking so i can hopefully leave it and switch to public transport once there ,especially as mine isn't ulez friendly

Depends. I love driving in London. People are alert and observant. Five hours is a long time, though. I would take a 1 hour break just before you get to London.

I drive from Godalming to South Kensington every day, we leave at 6am latest, takes an hour. The drive home however can take two hours, more if there's a significant road closure. I don't mind it tbh, I used to get frustrated with the awful road craft but since I got control of my hot headedness and just chill out I find it much more relaxing.

@moon man it's not that bad to be honest, I lived in Streatham Hill for 12 years, moved out about 4 years ago. Just take it slow, chill out and don't let anyone get to you. You'll be fine :)

Protip: most of London's drivers don't know how bus lanes work, and if you're travelling after 10am and before 4pm, you can drive in most of the bus lanes. You need to know how to read the signs though, get it wrong and they'll fine you. Knowing this saves a ton of time and traffic.

Already been said but adding for clarity, there are a lot of new 20mph speed limits around. Not sure that all are updated on sat navs yet so just be careful about looking for speed limit signs rather than trusting what the sat nav says.

Other than that the middle stretch could well be slower than expected so I'd leave extra time for that.

Back
Top Bottom