Driving with flat tyre

Soldato
In other news the Mrs drove to the in laws yesterday. She thought the steering felt a bit funny when she hit the first speedbump about 100 metres after leaving the house but put it down to the car being laden with presents. Strangely enough it wasn't the 10 or so kilos of presents, it was the rear offside tyre being flat due to a nail.

She then drove 11 miles to the inlaws which included 8 miles along the M5 and a winding country lane! I'd just arrived 5 mins earlier in my own car and when she told me I expected the tyre to be shredded, it was remarkably intact but very hot. Obviously it's beyond repair. Put the space-saving wheelbarrow tyre on for the journey home and will replace it tomorrow.

Soldato
OP
Aren't you supposed to do basic checks before you get in the car and drive?

Even if I didn't, as soon as I felt the steering being a bit "funny" I would have stopped to check.

Of course you should, I quickly look down either side each morning to check the tyres are inflated, if I remember, but I can't blame the OH for not doing this, I imagine hardly any females do "basic checks" before setting off. I guess this is a case where tyre pressure monitoring systems show their worth.

Soldato
OP
I always think my tyres are under on my 2014 Honda CR-V, but when I check them with a guage they are ok, just the sidewalls seem to bulge out with these tyres. Mine has a low pressure warning but it has never come on, I believe it activates at about 8psi under

Some radials do bulge a bit but if the tyre is the correct size for the car and inflated to manufacturers spec it's fine.

Back
Top Bottom