Driving with flat tyre

Soldato
In other news the Mrs drove to the in laws yesterday. She thought the steering felt a bit funny when she hit the first speedbump about 100 metres after leaving the house but put it down to the car being laden with presents. Strangely enough it wasn't the 10 or so kilos of presents, it was the rear offside tyre being flat due to a nail.

She then drove 11 miles to the inlaws which included 8 miles along the M5 and a winding country lane! I'd just arrived 5 mins earlier in my own car and when she told me I expected the tyre to be shredded, it was remarkably intact but very hot. Obviously it's beyond repair. Put the space-saving wheelbarrow tyre on for the journey home and will replace it tomorrow.

Soldato
Aren't you supposed to do basic checks before you get in the car and drive?

Even if I didn't, as soon as I felt the steering being a bit "funny" I would have stopped to check.

Soldato
OP
Aren't you supposed to do basic checks before you get in the car and drive?

Even if I didn't, as soon as I felt the steering being a bit "funny" I would have stopped to check.

Of course you should, I quickly look down either side each morning to check the tyres are inflated, if I remember, but I can't blame the OH for not doing this, I imagine hardly any females do "basic checks" before setting off. I guess this is a case where tyre pressure monitoring systems show their worth.

Soldato
Of course you should, I quickly look down either side each morning to check the tyres are inflated, if I remember, but I can't blame the OH for not doing this, I imagine hardly any females do "basic checks" before setting off. I guess this is a case where tyre pressure monitoring systems show their worth.

wow.

Man of Honour
I would be rather surprised to see anyone other than a professional driver (who is generally obliged to do so) carry out basic checks before jumping in a vehicle and driving away. In fact , I don't honestly think I've ever seen anybody do this before each journey.

Soldato
I would be rather surprised to see anyone other than a professional driver (who is generally obliged to do so) carry out basic checks before jumping in a vehicle and driving away. In fact , I don't honestly think I've ever seen anybody do this before each journey.

Quite. But it does baffle me how some people can have a completely lack of feel of what their car should feel/sound like. Lady driving at its finest. :p

Soldato
Years ago the wife had to take her bosses BMW from Telford to Shrewsbury - She said she could smell rubber but thought nothing of it until other motorists in Shrewsbury kept bipping horns and pointing down at rear wheel.
She stopped - got out and looked then got back in and drove slowly all the way round Shrewsbury to BMW dealers that used to be by the railway bridge -
New tyre but fortunately no damage on the alloy rim.
I think she also got to drive a Ford Cosworth - Both cars were wasted on her.

I was a passenger in mates Disco and we were doing a good 70 up M5 when a mini by side of us pointed to rear wheel - as soon as mate lifted of it went bang and car started wobbling - up to that point we never knew the tyre was flat. Nothing !

Caporegime

I check down both sides of any of my cars before I use them. Thankfully systems checks in each take care of things like whether the lights are working or not.

Back
Top Bottom