Drones over gatwick..

Soldato
So I’ve been wondering how long it would be until some cretin decided to do this, but it seems someone has been flying a drone around Gatwick airfield and all flights have been halted....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-46623754

I’d love to know exactly what’s going on inside the head of someone who decided to do something like this, but how can it be stopped?

How many of these incidents will happen, before the authorities go “nope” and make drones illegal, or heavily restrict/license them?

What’s the solution? Anti-drone systems? A ban? Harpy eagles?

Caporegime
they arent really any more dangerous than a bird, how many times do airports shut down if there are a flock of birds around?

Associate
I might be wrong but I thought that you could jail time for that? That's what you should get anyway, anyone who is potentially causing a plane crash deserves a hefty sentence.

Soldato
OP
they arent really any more dangerous than a bird, how many times do airports shut down if there are a flock of birds around?

It’s a good question, jet engines are designed to ingest birds up to a certain point, but I’m not sure if they’ve ever been tested on drones. Most airports also have bird-scaring systems to keep the majority of birds away, especially large migratory birds like geese - something like a goose or a swan could take out an entire engine.

Soldato
There's no evidence, yet, of any drones. Who flies their drone at night anyway?

I think something else is going on here.
If it was just someone flying a consumer drone (like a DJI, even though they won't take off near airports), then it would be out of battery in under 30 minutes. If it was a self built drone, then likely much sooner than that. This has been going on for hours now.

Associate
I believe you now need a licence to fly a drone and that said drone has to be registered to the licencee.

Unfortunately any muppet can buy one.

IIRC, there's a few drone operators on here, hopefully one of them can supply more accurate info on legislation.

Soldato
OP
There's no evidence, yet, of any drones. Who flies their drone at night anyway?

I dunno, I mean I imagine the folks at Gatwick have the required technology and expertise to make a call to redirect over 4000 passengers to other airports? I doubt they’d do it based on a hunch, although I imagine we’ll find out more in due course.

Soldato
It’s a good question, jet engines are designed to ingest birds up to a certain point, but I’m not sure if they’ve ever been tested on drones. Most airports also have bird-scaring systems to keep the majority of birds away, especially large migratory birds like geese - something like a goose or a swan could take out an entire engine.

Other than habitat management, there isn't much you can do about larger birds.
Most birds will also try and get out of the way of an aircraft (once they see it) whereas a drone being operated by someone stupid enough to do it, could do anything.

Birds and mammals get ripped apart upon contact... I can't imagine a drone doing the same if struck and it's not just engines that are an issue.

Soldato
OP
Birds and mammals get ripped apart upon contact... I can't imagine a drone doing the same if struck and it's not just engines that are an issue.

Yeah the thing that seems most dangerous, is the weight, metal parts and the lithium batteries, the blades are designed to survive against things like smaller birds and water/hail but drones...

Stick a Phalanx installation or two around the airport... what could possibly go wrong.

Yeah I wondered how long it would be before someone suggested that!

Man of Honour
That sound! Always cacked my pants when they went off. Epic sound and sight! Even when you were warned of a test fire in 60 seconds time, I still **** myself!

Little puts the fear of god into a foe conventional weapons wise like 20-30mm rapid fire :s

Soldato
I believe you now need a licence to fly a drone and that said drone has to be registered to the licencee.

Unfortunately any muppet can buy one.

IIRC, there's a few drone operators on here, hopefully one of them can supply more accurate info on legislation.

These articles covers it pretty well:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-drone-laws-bring-added-protection-for-passengers
https://dronesafe.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Dronecode_2018-07-30.pdf

In short new legislation was rushed through in May to restrict the height they can be flown (400 feet) and how close they can be flown to an airport (1km). Maximum penalty is an unlimited fine or 5 years for "recklessly or negligently acting in a manner likely to endanger an aircraft or any person in an aircraft".

The fuller legislation will come into effect in November next year and will include the need to register heavier drones and take an online test.

I actively fly drones and fully support the need for appropriate legislation

Soldato
I dunno, I mean I imagine the folks at Gatwick have the required technology and expertise to make a call to redirect over 4000 passengers to other airports? I doubt they’d do it based on a hunch, although I imagine we’ll find out more in due course.

I'd be inclined to agree, if the track record of drone sightings in the past had actually turned out to be drones, and not other things, including carrier bags.

Back
Top Bottom