** DRONES: WHO HAS ONE, WHO WANTS ONE?

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Drones are becoming the latest hype, I am seeing more and more of them, friends buying etc. and our sister company www.caseking.de are actually selling 100's of them.

So my question is who here has a Drone? Who is considering buying a Drone and if so which ones have you being looking at? If linking to drones please link to them only on manufacturer sites and not other webshops.

I find the DJI seem to be rather amazing as are very high quality with incredible cameras and software, check them out:
http://www.dji.com/showcase/17781
http://www.dji.com/

What do you guys think of the DJI drones?

Associate
The DJI stuff is good tho has a bad name as people have problems with them .. but this is 90% down to not following the correct way to fly / setup.. Me and a few mates have there kit in different forms from self build kits to phantoms and all the way up to S1000 and s900 and inspire 1.

There is a big thing on the 250 size things now . less distance and more about zipping around thing.

I still enjoy my planes and getting some distance and views but they need space to land so quads are so much better in that you can land in a small area .

The Phantom 3 with its HD live video gives a super view while you fly and seen people do some very nice distance with them.

Soldato
Dji are the go to brand for pre built ready to fly set ups. Most guys including myself build our own. It's cheaper (some of the time) and more fun. Avoid parrot overpriced and gimmicky.

Associate
Dji are the go to brand for pre built ready to fly set ups. Most guys including myself build our own. It's cheaper (some of the time) and more fun. Avoid parrot overpriced and gimmicky.

I've spent some time flying a DJI phantom and they are fantastic.

Where is a good place to start with the intention of building a drone, any good forums etc?

Associate
As a distributor for DJI and other drones in the UK, I can vouch for the quality of their products, everyone else is playing catch up at the moment!

If you want any specific information just let me know.

Hi there

Drones are becoming the latest hype, I am seeing more and more of them, friends buying etc. and our sister company www.caseking.de are actually selling 100's of them.

So my question is who here has a Drone? Who is considering buying a Drone and if so which ones have you being looking at? If linking to drones please link to them only on manufacturer sites and not other webshops.

I find the DJI seem to be rather amazing as are very high quality with incredible cameras and software, check them out:
http://www.dji.com/showcase/17781
http://www.dji.com/

What do you guys think of the DJI drones?

Associate
I have a DJI Phantom Vision 2+ yes they are very good but they do tend to have a fair few returns due to failures, particularly the wifi module which prevented you from getting the live feed back to your iphone/android device. Mine is awaiting repair for this atm, it is quite robust though after crashing it twice it flew again no problems after a quick check. The new V3 model is very good by all accounts and has some amazing features.
Of course there are many other manufactures out there who make great machines of varying price ranges.
They are great to use, however I've just read in the news that there is going to be a Europe wide policy governing there use by "hobby" scene. This would be due to the tiny minority who use them irresponsibly and endanger others. This new law could seriously curb the ability of just anyone to buy one without registering it or having to have a licence to use it.
The media hype over "drones" and ill informed politicians have blown the situation out of all proportion of course for the responsible user.

The best place to get feed back would be the Multirotor thread, some real experts there Gibbo.

But if you were considered having them in stock in large numbers you may want to evaluate the possible changes in the law of their operation.

Last edited:
Associate
Best thing to do if find people close that you can go watch talk about it and learn a few things before getting one .. spending a lot to then crash is an expensive way .. more so if you get a phantom 3 ..

Most people will help and if your lucky give you a fly .. they do fly nice and then you have someone to help.

The GPS lock is good .. but if you are not used to flying and that goes you can soon get in to a big problem ..

there is a lot that fly all over .. there are groups on FB not sure if I can post the name and also forums with people just doing flying

Building you own is goo way to learn but get some help as one motor turning the wrong way and it will flip

Take your time if you do build one

my 1st one was a DJI 550 .. and was done over a weekend lots of reading up before and getting the radio sorted and tested indoors ..

was a crazy idea but did not like the idea if flying away if something I had set up was wrong ..

But its not a cheap hobby to get in to

Richard

Back
Top Bottom