Dropping connection

Associate
My PC is intermittently, very occasionally, losing internet access. When this happens, I'm still showing a physical connection and the IP and gateway address are still present in IP config. I'm unable to ping the gateway. It remains available to other devices on the network. Usually the connection will start working again, but if not, resetting the connection will resolve the issue.

I'm running over powerline adaptors but this has been rock solid for years and no other devices on the same powerline network are having issues (including another PC ten feet away in the same room). I've replaced the powerline adaptors at either end to be on the safe side, I've also replaced the ethernet cables, and I've updated the NIC drivers. I've even disabled all power saving options on the NIC. I'm running out of ideas. It feels like I've narrowed it down to a problem with the PC, but I'm struggling to think what would cause this. Any thoughts please?

Associate
OP
Can't see what else it can be given what I've outlined. FTTC broadband, and no other devices lose connectivity. The PC can't ping the gateway, let alone an internet IP.

Associate
OP
It's got nothing to do with the internet connection. The internet connection is up. At the time of the PC losing internet access, the PC is unable to ping the router. Every other device in the house can still access the router and the internet.

Soldato
Treat it like any other fault, remove variables. The simplest is to run a temporary cable feed to the router, if it doesn’t have the same issue it’s powerline or the cables you’ve connected from the adapters to the device. If it still happens you’ve just eliminated the most glaringly obvious items on the list.

Soldato
Says he replaced the powerline adapters but yea would be good to test with a long cable to see if it still happens.

That’s largely meaningless other than to eliminate the physical adapter/patch lead unless he knows his wiring circuit is perfect and can tell the difference between a spur socket and a normal socket, hasn’t done something dumb like put it on an RCD/surge suppressed extension/UPS etc.

Associate
OP
He does say its its been working fine for years. unless hes had the house wiring redone without him knowing about it or something..

Yes. Nothing has changed. Been working solid for eight years. And as I also said, no issue with any other devices on the same powerline network, including another PC in the same room as the problem PC. Adaptors at both ends have been swapped out. Ethernet cable from adaptor to PC has been swapped out. Ethernet cable from adaptor to router has been swapped out (although the router side really shouldn't be an issue as all other devices connecting through that adaptor and ethernet cable just fine).

Have you tried a manual ip on the pc? Next time it stops passing data check the connection status to see if its got some dodgey ip assigned to it.

IP config. shows the correct private IP and gateway, but the gateway is unpingable. Hardware layer is obviously up as well.

Associate
I see two choices really, either software or hardware, so I would either try a live linux distro or a pci-e network card. As the former doesn't cost anything it is what i would do next.

Soldato
He does say its its been working fine for years. unless hes had the house wiring redone without him knowing about it or something..

Or as the circuit likely covers every socket on the floor, external interference from another device may have made enough of a difference to cause the socket he’s using to have enough noise on it to cause the adapter to drop. You can’t assume just because the adapter has been swapped that the socket/circuit are fine, hence why eliminating them as a variable is the logical next step.

Back
Top Bottom