DS:SP...

Man of Honour
I'm very suprised that so many of you have issues with the DS. I have huge hands (25.5cm hand span) and can hold and use the DS fine for ages. Maybe it's the way you hold it/poor hand strength.

Last edited:
Soldato
kreeeee said:
I'm very suprised that so many of you have issues with the DS. I have huge hands (25.5cm hand span) and can hold and use the DS fine for ages. Maybe it's the way you hold it/poor hand strength.
Personally, I find it depends on how you hold it, and the fact that I consider it uncomfortable to hold in certain ways.

For me, the ideal ergonomics of a handheld system (or controller) should mean that when you hold the system in the most comfortable way, you should have access to as many buttons as possible, as many of those lying directly underneath your fingers/thumbs as possible. I think that's a given. The Xbox S pad is the best controller out there in my opinion, precisely because it's not only comfortable, but the buttons are almost perfectly laid out for use, and every buttons is within easy access. No badly placed black and white buttons like the large pad, no small fiddly off-center dpad like the Gamecube pad (it's only real failing, to be fair). Similarly, I think the ergonomics of the GBA are far better than the SP because it's shape fits nicely into the hands, and the fingers rest naturally on the shoulder buttons, even though the SP is actually the better handheld overall.

My problem with the DS is that while it's completely fine to hold when using a dpad/stylus combo, or simply holding it with all fingers resting underneath, when I put my first fingers of both hands onto the shoulder buttons, as I believe should be the natural position to hold the system, and how I'm bound to hold it when using any game that requires those buttons (Mario Kart or any GBA game), I find the sides dig into my hands slightly, and the square shape of the system annoys me somewhat (since I move my hands up slightly to get better leverage on the shoulder buttons and support the console more, but now the face buttons are slightly lower down than I would like).

It's only a small quibble really, but compared to every other handheld and console controller out there these days, I think it's got awful ergonomics. Just rounding the damn edges of the system would surely not have changed anything, but would have made it a lot easier to hold for me. Maybe my baby soft hands or possible poor hand strength are to blame, but so what? That doesn't change the fact that I'd like a DS that I find easier to hold. :p

Man of Honour
Weebull said:
My problem with the DS is that while it's completely fine to hold when using a dpad/stylus combo, or simply holding it with all fingers resting underneath, when I put my first fingers of both hands onto the shoulder buttons, as I believe should be the natural position to hold the system, and how I'm bound to hold it when using any game that requires those buttons (Mario Kart or any GBA game) </snip holy giant sentence>

That's exactly how I hold it. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom