DS3 & Audio issues

Soldato
Ok, I am currently running my P43.6HT CPU in this board as I dont yet have any good RAM for the Conroe... The RAM I am currently using is only 3200 - yeah, I know, 400Mhz DDR2, but there you go!

Anyway, couple of days ago, fresh install of XP64, everythign seemed to be going well.

Today, I was moving some files over from one HD ( Maxtor 160 ) onto its own HDs ( 2 x Seagate 250 - each with 2 partitions ( C:+ E: & D: + F: - Both drives as Masters on their own port thingy, as is tha Maxtor, which is on the purple connector )

Anyway, I have been giving the on-board sound a try, not being much of a one for onboard really, and as its a trial install, I dont mind cos all I wnated to do was play a few MP3s while I was doing my stuff.

Anyway, I noticed the Sound was pausing. Not seen this for a while, so I thought it might be the DMA not being set, but I cant find an option there, so I went into the BIOS, but nothing immedietely obvious there either?

Ok, sod it then, onboard rubbish, and so I threw in a SBLive24 cos its spare, but can I get it working???

At first, it would not work at all, next PCI slot it all seemed to go in, but one Multimedia audio device just would not install, and the top PCI Slot, everythign has indeed gone in, and everything is showing up that its all there, but as soon as I try to play anything, it just sits there acting gormless???

I just cannot get it resolved.

Back to the Disk access... Its going like my last mobo too... Ridiculously poor disk performance. Its stupid really because copying a 700MB ISO for example, takes what? 5 or 6 seconds give or take?

Now, if I am playing an MP3, the music will hang for perhaps 1 or 2 seconds and the file now takes anythign up to about 20 seconds, this isnt on.

Bringing up stuff too has slowed down badly... Right clicking on My Computer for example to bring up somethign there has gone awful. If I am copying anything, the dialog box will not come up until it has finished copying, but if I am doing nothing, it can be as much as 10 seconds before it comes up?

I have gone through the more obvious thigns like Malware / Viral stuffand my hijack this log looks fine, so else what could it be?

The HDs are perfect too! - they are almost brand new and check out just fine on the other PCs, as are the SATA Cables too.

Unless its some kind of incompatibility, which I cant see why as it was running just fine last night... Then... Im stuck.

Anyone know of anything that i might have missed?

I have moved everythign onto the one HD for now, and I am about to play with XP Home on it for a bit on the other one, but I dont want to activate it as I want to stick with XP64 if I can cos I got spares of that but only one spare XP32!

Soldato
OP
Ok, fresh install. Windows XP Media Center.

SBLive24 = Seemed to go in just perfectly fine at first and it played the shutdown sound when it ... Well, shutdown!!!

It started back up and ... Where is the card?

Swapped the PCI slots but nothing.

Ok, so the SBLive24 wont go.

Tried the TBSC again, and it sort of wanted to go, but failed after a few minutes.

Plonked an Audigy in, but that was the same as the Live.

After a hunt on the net, I find that many users are having issues with the XFI so I though Id try mine and sure enough I too am having the problems, but then, I seem to be having problems full-stop with this junk.

Ok, back to onboard and after the silly messing about with the Intel updates and what not and then the drivers, that went in just fine.

Once again, it plays just fine until I want to load up the HDs ( Copies sort of ok ( if poorly ) files of about 200MB or less, but more than that and the PC crawls to a practical stop. ) In fact, I tried to copy 7 ISOs over from one HD to another just now and while I did that, it was playing WinAmp, so I stopped it and closed winamp down ( Which took perhaps 20-25 seconds ) and loaded up UT2004 to try the O/B Sound and that did not come up until it hadfinished copying the files over, which was somewhere in the region of half an hour, cos I was on another PC while I was waiting.

Im stuck.

Soldato
OP
Ok, lets make it simple...

I have now tried all my Audio cards and NONE work properly.

At best some work, until I restart... Its then simply unable to see the cards?

I have tried

SBLive24
Audigy 1
Audigy 2 ( Better, but still failed )
Audigy 4
XFI
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
M-Audio
HDA X-Plosion

Hell, the only card that has worked properly is a smegging CM8738 jobbie thats useless.

The onboard works fine until I try to stress it ( Games are a waste of time, as is trying to listen to an MP3 while doing lots of copying )

Surely the board cant be this bad?

Back
Top Bottom