DS3 high pitch beep???

Associate
I've currently got an E6300 on a DS3.

I'm getting quite poor temps with my E6300 which I believe being due to the heatspreader not being flat. I'll be fixing this later in the week when I lap it and the HSF.

Anyway, I keep getting a high pitch beep when playing Battlefield 2142. It's not coming from the case speaker as I've disconnected this.

My core temps are around 51-53C when playing, so I don't think it's that. And also, it only occurs when the game (ie the graphical engine) is playing. If I press escape and go to the menu within the game the beep goes away, hence thinking it's power related.

I can't figure out what it is. Is it the Core Duo getting too hot? Lack of power to the graphics card maybe? (It's a Tagan 530W that I've got). One of the chipsets getting too hot? (I've got a 40mm over the Northbridge, which is hot but not burning hot).

I've never come across such a beep. It's just constant and high pitch. Can't figure out where it's coming from either. Was just wondering if someone could help me understand what it is, and why.

Thanks.

Associate
OP
Everything is fine when idle, it's only under load when the beep ocurs. When using TAT is doesn't seem to occur, or may do once in a while. The stress test in TAT seems to push everything a lot more than BF2142, yet in that it occurs quite regularly.

Surely this would would mean either a power or heat issue? Or something related to the graphics card (or motherboard part related to the graphics card)?

I've got a big fan in my room, think I'll try pointing that inside the case. Did it ages back on my old machine, certainly drops the temps by quite a bit. See if that helps diagnose the problem.

Associate
probably psu related in my experience.
when the cpu and gpu are at high load the psu power rails are likely to drop and this could be the cause of your high pitch noise.
try running speedfan and run a voltage graph during a game and see what the 12 volt and 5volt rails are giving.

Associate
OP
Ok. Speedfan seems to read the 12v rail of my DS3 strangely though. It comes up as a minus figure. I'll maybe need to grab the latest version or try some other software.

I'd have thought 530W would have been plenty, ah well. I'll unplug any unecessary devices so it's running lighter, and see how it does.

If it's ok, I'm also gonna put my big room fan pointing into the case, make sure it's not a temp related problem.

Associate
OP
It's my PSU. At least that's where the beep is definitelty coming from.

It's a Tagan 530W, which I thought would be enough. The 3.3v and 5v rail run at 3.26v and 4.95v when under load which is ok. I annoyingly can't see my 12v rail in speedfan though, it just says 0v.

I guess this must be the rail that is failing. My PSU has two 12v rails, each at around 20-22A. I'd have thought that would be enough?

So I guess it's either the PSU is underpowered, or it's not working properly. It's definitely not running to hot round the back. One thing worth noting it's a 20pin adapter to the mobo, yet my my mobo has a 24pin slot. According to the mobo manual this should be fine though.

Back
Top Bottom