DS4 Molex connector

Associate
What does one use the Molex connector on the corner of the DS4 board for and why?
I can't get my new build working, and i wonder if its due to this socket being unused. Still, I dont want to do anything wrong just on a hunch...

Associate
Caelus said:
What does one use the Molex connector on the corner of the DS4 board for and why?
I can't get my new build working, and i wonder if its due to this socket being unused. Still, I dont want to do anything wrong just on a hunch...

The manual says it is for extra power to the PCIE x16 slot.

When you say you can't get your new build working does it boot ?

Associate
OP
No, with no GPU in the PCI-E slot it gives the beeps that indicate video card error; with the card in it powers up, no beeps, no fans spinning on the CPU or GPU, no output on the monitor, no response from the off switch to shutdown.
So do I put power *in* to that connector? The manual is rubbish, and describes it in the same manner that it does the connectors that give power *out* to various things (like fans), yet the molex in question looks to my untrained eye like an input type.

EDIT: what the heck happened to my post, since when has the word "the" required censoring 0_o

Last edited:
Associate
Caelus said:
No, with no GPU in the PCI-E slot it gives the beeps that indicate video card error; with the card in it powers up, no beeps, no fans spinning on the CPU or GPU, no output on the monitor, no response from the off switch to shutdown.
So do I put power *in* to that connector? The manual is rubbish, and describes it in the same manner that it does the connectors that give power *out* to various things (like fans), yet the molex in question looks to my untrained eye like an input type.

EDIT: what the heck happened to my post, since when has the word "the" required censoring 0_o

guessing that all power connectors need to be supplying juice to the board. When I first got my dfi nf4 sli, I missed a connector and that had me pulling my hair out for a whole day before I realised lol.. Good luck.

Associate
OP
Fanatic said:
Is it a white 4 pin (2x2) connector?

If it is that's the CPU power and your PC will not boot without it. I forgot it when I put mine together :)

No, its 1x4 connector like the type you find on theback of IDE hard disks and optical drives.
I've got the plug in the 2x2 connector (actually 2x4 connector in this case) and in the 24-pin connector.
I just dont want to put current into a slot without being sure that thats what its there for. Does the fact that a power-in cable fits meant that its definately for power in and not out?

Associate
Caelus said:
No, its 1x4 connector like the type you find on theback of IDE hard disks and optical drives.
I've got the plug in the 2x2 connector (actually 2x4 connector in this case) and in the 24-pin connector.
I just dont want to put current into a slot without being sure that thats what its there for. Does the fact that a power-in cable fits meant that its definately for power in and not out?

I have plugged mine in - no problem. I've not tried it without.

DS4/e6600/G.Skill HZ/ATI 1800

Associate
OP
OK, some measure of success, the monitor now comes on with a message telling me I havent connected the power cable to the graphics card... as far as I am aware I have (EDIT: no, I hadnt the other end fell out of the PSU while i was stickin the molex connector in, d'oh) , but at least this is a start. The graphics card fan now runs, which is good, CPU fan isnt turning, its jerking back and forth. Could it be in backwards and is getting stalled by the reverse airflow?

It's ALIVE! Except for the CPU heatsink fan, and I really dont want to run without that, any thoughts people?

Last edited:
Associate
Caelus said:
OK, some measure of success, the monitor now comes on with a message telling me I havent connected the power cable to the graphics card... as far as I am aware I have (EDIT: no, I hadnt the other end fell out of the PSU while i was stickin the molex connector in, d'oh) , but at least this is a start. The graphics card fan now runs, which is good, CPU fan isnt turning, its jerking back and forth. Could it be in backwards and is getting stalled by the reverse airflow?

It's ALIVE! Except for the CPU heatsink fan, and I really dont want to run without that, any thoughts people?

Could be catching on something or not getting enough power.

Associate
OP
I booted up, went in to BIOS, changed CPU Fan Control from "Auto" to "Voltage" and it runs fine, if I set it to "PWM" it jerks about a lot, even more than it was at Auto, but still doesnt turn. I dont actually know what these things mean, I'm just going with what works :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom