DSL Modem (not router)?

Soldato
Trying to help a friend out with their rubbish network performance - they're currently on a Bright Box 1 from EE. I have a perfectly serviceable Linksys WRT1900ACS V2 in a drawer at the moment, but since the BB1 doesn't have a modem mode, I need to put a modem into the equation.

Short of dropping £90 on a Draytek, what are the preferred DSL modem options these days please? Most conversations I've found centre around modem/router combos.

Cheers.

Soldato
The old Openreach modems still work just fine and are cheap. An HG612 3B would be the preferred version. Don't pay extra for an unlocked one (you don't gain much and it's easy enough to do).

Associate
Technicolor TG582n chip as chips and can be put to modem mode or netgear dg834gt.

I was using the dg834gt in modem mode until this year when fttp went live in the area.

The TG582n sync a bit higher than the dg834gt but the dg834gt was stable during cold season.

Soldato
Technicolor TG582n chip as chips and can be put to modem mode or netgear dg834gt.

I was using the dg834gt in modem mode until this year when fttp went live in the area.

The TG582n sync a bit higher than the dg834gt but the dg834gt was stable during cold season.

Did you really just recommend a router that’s got to be getting on for 15 years old? I mean the ECI’s and HG612 has to be a decade old, but are better buys for the £10 or so they go for than an 834GT in bridge. I’ve never found anything Technicolor made to be not awful, let alone good.

Associate
Did you really just recommend a router that’s got to be getting on for 15 years old? I mean the ECI’s and HG612 has to be a decade old, but are better buys for the £10 or so they go for than an 834GT in bridge. I’ve never found anything Technicolor made to be not awful, let alone good.

Have no experience with the HG612 but been using the TG582n/DG834GT for 10+ years and have no problems with it.

During the summer I'll stick the TG582 since it sync higher and I'll use the DG834GT during cold season as it will hold

the line better at a lower sync though.One nice feature of the DG834GT is the ability to adjust the snr.

I agree these 3 are all ancient stuff.

Soldato
Depends if the OP's connection is ADSL or VDSL.

If it is ADSL then something like the DG834GT would still be a viable option and the Openreach modems would be difficult/impossible to use.

For ADSL configuring the Linksys as an AP and using it with the existing router would make more sense.

Soldato
Depends if the OP's connection is ADSL or VDSL.

If it is ADSL then something like the DG834GT would still be a viable option and the Openreach modems would be difficult/impossible to use.

For ADSL configuring the Linksys as an AP and using it with the existing router would make more sense.

HG612 supports anything from ADSL to FTTC with under 60 seconds work - if it didn't, I wouldn't have one in the network crate.

Soldato
Starting now with a locked HG612 and no previous knowledge how long would it take you?

And you still won't have the convenience of the PPPoE to PPPoA translation the Vigor modems support.

Soldato
Starting now with a locked HG612 and no previous knowledge how long would it take you?

And you still won't have the convenience of the PPPoE to PPPoA translation the Vigor modems support.

That rather depends how slowly you want to make the internet connection for me to download the firmware and if you're making me type with a unicorn stick and plug the USB's in with my teeth in this hypothetical situation :D

Back
Top Bottom