dt770 or Fidelio X2HR??

Associate
So iv'e been looking at upgrading my headset (hyper x cloud 2s) and after days of researching i have narrowed my options down these two the Fidelio X2HR and the dt770s i like the look of both but i just cannot decide which one! I will be using them mainly for gaming so my question is which one should i go for? just looking for peoples opinion to help me decide.

Associate
DT770 is a better headphone than the X2 despite being closed for technical ability. The X2 is a fun phone, a bit grainy sounding though. Both comfortable. Both give a good depth perception, X2 a little better due to upper mid dip. DT770 has more present sub bass, more aggressive.

X2 sounds more open due to it being, well open, I dunno it depends what you want. The DT770 are harder to drive, X2 runs from anything and doesn't really scale well. I will for the most part always pick an open phone over a closed for video games unless it's quite narrow like the HD650 but everyone different.

X2 would be my pick out of those two for games. DT880 would be a good consideration, great gaming headphone.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your input yes I've been leaning towards the x2s I may get them, I'm just waiting for a good deal on them I see them at £132 yesterday but they have gone back up to £150 today :(

Soldato
Another thing to take into consideration when deciding between these two, is whether you will want a microphone. If yes, then X2HR are easier to do that with a V-Moda boompro, as they have a detachable 3.5mm cable.

You can add a microphone to the DT770, but you'd need a Modmic, which has it's own cable; and with the DT770 not having a removable cable, then you've got two cables to content with. That does frustrate some people, so the X2HR is a better choice in that regard.

As already mentioned; DT770 are harder drive, especially if looking at the 250 Ohm version. 80 Ohm version would be the better choice for use with onboard audio or anything without a dedicated headphone amp.

The HyperX Cloud II, has a USB dongle which serves as a sound card and has surround sound processing, if you want to call it that. By using the above headphones with onboard audio, you will lose that, unless you use something to replace the surround sound processing. Whether it be software or a sound card.

Windows 10 has a trial for Dolby Atmos for headphones and also has it's own free to use Sonic surround sound feature. I forget the exact name. You can use either in place of a sound card, but neither of those are as good as Creative's SBX prostudio. You can buy that software from Creative's site, but it is £30 and not particularly good value when they have B grade SoundblasterX G6 USB sound cards come up from time to time for £70. G6 for £70 would be a really good buy.

Associate
OP
Another thing to take into consideration when deciding between these two, is whether you will want a microphone. If yes, then X2HR are easier to do that with a V-Moda boompro, as they have a detachable 3.5mm cable.

You can add a microphone to the DT770, but you'd need a Modmic, which has it's own cable; and with the DT770 not having a removable cable, then you've got two cables to content with. That does frustrate some people, so the X2HR is a better choice in that regard.

As already mentioned; DT770 are harder drive, especially if looking at the 250 Ohm version. 80 Ohm version would be the better choice for use with onboard audio or anything without a dedicated headphone amp.

The HyperX Cloud II, has a USB dongle which serves as a sound card and has surround sound processing, if you want to call it that. By using the above headphones with onboard audio, you will lose that, unless you use something to replace the surround sound processing. Whether it be software or a sound card.

Windows 10 has a trial for Dolby Atmos for headphones and also has it's own free to use Sonic surround sound feature. I forget the exact name. You can use either in place of a sound card, but neither of those are as good as Creative's SBX prostudio. You can buy that software from Creative's site, but it is £30 and not particularly good value when they have B grade SoundblasterX G6 USB sound cards come up from time to time for £70. G6 for £70 would be a really good buy.
yea i know about the mic im planning on buying a audio extension cable then connecting it up to my old detachable mic from the hyper x's something like this https://imgur.com/gallery/bKU4H but the V-Moda boompro will look better. Im probalbly going to get a sound card (the sound blaster ae-7) as ive seen it slightly cheaper i know most people get a dac but i want to go old school! then if i want the surround i can use creative's built in surround.

Soldato
I have the X2HR and the modmic attaches to the outside of the grille without needing the base, so pretty convenient if you go that route, as well as the detachable cable. I was looking at similar options to you but now probably returning the X2HR as the drivers are imbalanced (left quieter than right). I may opt for replacement and try get a better pair or try something else, not sure yet. I do really like the X2HR apart from that and was very happy otherwise. I think they do benefit from some amplification too, but I have limited options to test at the moment to say that conclusively.

It's a little odd you're considering these against the DT770 when they are closed. DT880 or DT990 are the semi-open and open versions, which are more equivalent. I was looking at DT990 Premium as an alternative to X2HR but went with the latter as it doesn't need amplification like the 250 ohm DT990 would (which is allegedly the all round best version for most uses). I don't have an amp now, so overall it was also less. I also prefer the design of the X2HR.

Associate
OP
I have the X2HR and the modmic attaches to the outside of the grille without needing the base, so pretty convenient if you go that route, as well as the detachable cable. I was looking at similar options to you but now probably returning the X2HR as the drivers are imbalanced (left quieter than right). I may opt for replacement and try get a better pair or try something else, not sure yet. I do really like the X2HR apart from that and was very happy otherwise. I think they do benefit from some amplification too, but I have limited options to test at the moment to say that conclusively.

It's a little odd you're considering these against the DT770 when they are closed. DT880 or DT990 are the semi-open and open versions, which are more equivalent. I was looking at DT990 Premium as an alternative to X2HR but went with the latter as it doesn't need amplification like the 250 ohm DT990 would (which is allegedly the all round best version for most uses). I don't have an amp now, so overall it was also less. I also prefer the design of the X2HR.
The DT990's look good are these any good for gaming? i only picked the DT770 and the X2's because ive heard they are good for gaming but i have never tried open headphones before im just going by what people recommend really

Soldato
Mostly it depends on whether you want to be able to hear your surroundings well or not. With open, you can somewhat hear what's going on in the room around you, plus there will be sound leakage from the headphones that may disturb others (e.g. late night gaming in same room etc.).

From my research I also gathered that open headphones may have a wider soundstage, which I guess could be an advantage when gaming when trying to position enemies etc. I would suspect this advantage over closed-back is probably fairly small unless you're into super-competitive stuff. I haven't tried both so perhaps someone who has can comment on that.

Back
Top Bottom