Dt770

Associate
Currently have Asus xonar d2x and Siberia V2 but had on off issues all way through owning mainly with headphones working not working pain in backside.

So if I was starting from scratch again, if I went for dt770 headphones what soundcard / amp would be a good setup. Figure if I'm going to upgrade do it once and hopefully it lasts a good few years.

Also what mic to pair with the dt770?

Only play games a few times per week, listen to occasional music when working at pc. Want reliability above all else.

Not sure on budget just want to know what people recommend then can look round for deals over the next month or so.

Matt

Associate
Iv'e recently upgraded my headphones to the dt990 pro's with a sound blaster ae-7 card the dt990's are definitely an upgrade from my hyper x cloud2's as for the sound card i feel it makes the headphones even better! As you can tweak the settings to your liking the SBX profiles are good. So if you wanted to go down the sound card route then i would recommend creatives ae-7 card or if that's over budget then the ae-5 card which has RGB there is a plus version of the ae5 as well that supports Dolby Digital Live and DTS Encoding. You could also go with an external amp which may be a cheaper upgrade i dont have much experience with them though so i cant really recommend you any.

One thing to note with the ae-5 card though you dont get the audio control module though mod mic may have volume control but im not sure u can of course control your volume from your desktop if your not bothered about this.

As for the microphone you will need a mod mic or you could do a mod yourself like this one https://imgur.com/gallery/bKU4H which is what im going to do.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply

I've been looking at the creative website and saw the g6 also the x3 so was wondering if these may be a good starting point then add the mic and finally headphones - currently it's the mic causing me issues. Another product I saw was the fiio E10.

Just not sure for the complete setup yet.

Matt

Associate
OP
Ordered the g6 and just found the Sony mdr-1r headphones I got free with a mobile phone.

Anyone use or used these headphones are they any good?

Just need to sort a mic now.

Regards

Matt

Soldato
Ordered the g6 and just found the Sony mdr-1r headphones I got free with a mobile phone.

Anyone use or used these headphones are they any good?
Basically nothing above 2kHz cans:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDR1R.pdf
Stereo content like music really doesn't give damn about accuracy.
But binaural cues don't tolerate much deficiencies and sound positioning would be probably seriously lacking.

Associate
The amp section of the G6 is really powerful for what you get so it really depends on your headphone budget. If you want an all-rounder the K712 is a good choice, HD600/650 if you want more of a path in the future with different amps and source gear although the last two are not a focus for gaming as the forward upper mids make them sound more closed in, small stage perception.

For video games it's the opposite, recessions in places give that sense of open space; brighter headphones with less controlled airflow work well like the K701, AD700. I really like the K701 for video games I think it outperforms the HD800 for that use, obviously for music the HD800 has better treble resolution, scalability. If you like bassy music, rap music rock etc the DT150 is a good phone but average for gaming, DT770 works better there. I prefer open myself, the X2 might be a good mix but it's resolution is quite a bit behind most I've mentioned.

Associate
Thanks for the replies.

Openback headphones never tried any, are there any issues with these?

Then mic wise modmic?

Matt

I had openback AKG K7xx and the sound was excellent, but the issue was everyone in the house could hear what I was listening to, I'm sure the neighbors could too. Sold them to switch to DT770 Pro's, much happier other than the cable, but I am removing that and adding a jack.

Associate
OP
Ok thanks for the info, I'd need closed back headphones then as tend to game with kids asleep.

Right been testing the existing headphones with the g6, sound is superb but the mic doesn't work still, however if I plug the mic into the front panel jack for the mic, its picked up and the mic works - anyone got a clue whats going on here?

Matt

Associate
OP
After much faffing I got the mic to work with the g6?

Can't say for definite what it was that sorted it out but it's working...saved me buying a new set of phones and mic!

Matt

Back
Top Bottom