Dual GFX Intel & NVidia under Linux on my Laptop?

Soldato
Ok, my main Windows Laptop is both Intel and nVidia - I use Windows on that.

My Main Linux Laptop is an ASUS RoG and only had nVidia on that so no worries.

Now, last week, I bought another Laptop and its currently got Windows on it, but I fancy piddling about with Linux on it cos its a fairly powerful machine.

The snag is, that this too has both Intel and nVidia Graphics.
So, before I got destroying the Windows install, what is the thing with dual graphics on this under linux? Sorry, using the term Dual Graphics is wrong... But when I do basic Apps and Destop stuff, it uses Intel, and then switches to nVidia for the more demanding 3D games etc... Although this has Intel 630 GFX its not that shabby for most basic games, but the nVidia is obviously vastly better.

Can it work like that with switching over to nVidia, or not? I was just talking to a lad earlier on who says it wont do it, but I have simply never tried it.

Thoughts?

Associate
I'm not sure if it works and switches between the Intel and Nvidia but you can get Linux working on the laptop. It's usually a painful process to get it working, although I have read that Ubuntu may work "out-of-the-box".

A Google of Linux hybrid graphics yields a bunch of helpful (or not) articles.

Soldato
OP
I use Linux on other Laptops, and my Desktop, and Linux is never "usually" a painful process... it is in fact vastly bgetter and easier to put Linux onto a Laptop than it is to put windows.
I have done google searches and the results are varied and not actually helpful.

This Laptop may have good specs, but its a sluggish pile of junk, and its incredibly slow for accessing the Hard Disk and basic office work...
Shame really.. Its like an old Fujitsu I had a few years ago.. it was an I5 and should have been nippy, but it was so slow, that I gave it away.
This is a hex core i7 running off an M.2 Drive, but its so sluggish that it might as well be a celeron.

Games play fine on it, but they just take ages to load up.

I guess I will leave Windows on it and give it to my son.

Associate
I wasn't saying that Linux is usually a painful process. Just that it can be painful to get working on devices with dual graphics. Granted, it's been a while since I've had to do it myself so things may have improved but a quick search does suggest that plenty of people still struggle with it. As always, YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom