Dual loop or one bigger single loop?

Associate
OP
link it to the eiswand- try without the extra 240 to be honest - 45mm thick 30 should be fine to handle all of that! if our not happy with temps or sound, add the 240 in .
you'll notice when you add the GPX in that the res level will drop- just top it up

you absolutely sure you cant find GPX Pro/eiswolf models. as i can see them :)

Alphacool Eiswolf GPX Pro - Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 Pro M14

Strangely that Pro doesn't make it clear it is for Mini (though you are entirely correct it is). I also have an e-mail from Dajana Maurer @ Aquatuning.de saying they don't have a version with a built in pump for the Mini. Reality is that the M14 designation means it IS designed for the Mini and that I can order with or without pump. Just like you linked. It is just an admin error on the website, though it was backed up by their e-mail. I will reply back to point out the error.

I have ordered the Pro and it will arrive today. I will link it all in to the loop when my Meshify C case arrives (should also be today, now the snow has cleared..).

Thanks for the help everyone.

Steven_RW

Soldato
Strangely that Pro doesn't make it clear it is for Mini (though you are entirely correct it is). I also have an e-mail from Dajana Maurer @ Aquatuning.de saying they don't have a version with a built in pump for the Mini. Reality is that the M14 designation means it IS designed for the Mini and that I can order with or without pump. Just like you linked. It is just an admin error on the website, though it was backed up by their e-mail. I will reply back to point out the error.

I have ordered the Pro and it will arrive today. I will link it all in to the loop when my Meshify C case arrives (should also be today, now the snow has cleared..).

Thanks for the help everyone.

Steven_RW

nice one, get some snaps of the process and install :D have mine in the box read to go, have to cut a 5th off the end on my unit to get it to fit ( 1080 and ti had a cap in a different place)

Associate
OP
Hi OrbitalW - So what part did you fit and to what card? A chap is asking me if he could use the non pro (no pump) option that is designed for 1080 Mini on his 1080 Ti Mini. The only option listed on the site for him is the Pro with pump.

Regarding my build at the moment - detailed yawn update below :).

I bought this base PC, upgraded the GPU to 1080, upgraded the PSU to modular 750w and since then have been messing with the cooling. https://www.chillblast.com/chillblast-fusion-adamantium-4-gaming-pc.html

The case itself isn't really very good. No cut out for the back of the Mobo, so the Alphacool X3 CPU block backing plate that came with the Eiswand didn't seat and I needed to empty the case and drill the mobo platform. The water cooling options were very limited (thus why I bought an Eiswand) and the fact it has a single 200mm fan option for the front (I upgraded to the Noctua 200mm) where half of the airflow is blocked by going under the mobo (which lays flat not vertical..) and stops by hitting the HDD trays and so on. All in the case isn't ideal so I wanted to upgrade it. I also chopped the living daylights out of it to aid airflow, so all filtration is gone and all the metal mesh that goes in front of fans have been chopped out.

Meshify C is here, Alphacool GPX Pro arrives today with other fittings, hoses, fluid etc. Dr Delid 2.0 tool arrives today from Caseking.de and I am waiting for a replacement copper IHS sent from Rockit (spl?) in Texas that is on the way for about a week now, so all should be here soon.

I have already started working on the radiator position and fan solution for the case (front = 3 x 120mm corsair fans. 2 of which are high performance static pressure jobs to push through the 240mm radiator and the bottom one is an airflow 120mm as it just feeds into the case not a radiator but that may get removed). I have push pulled the back of the radiator using two spare 120mm fractal high static pressure fans I have from a Fractal t12 AIO. The roof of the case can handle a 140mm towards the back (fractal x2) and a 120mm (fractal x2) towards the front as the radiator end tank extends high to the point I cannot fit a second 140mm in the roof.

So all in all, I have been working on it last night but not butchering my current pc to the point it is out of commission. I want to do that final step in one go so I am at the minimum downtime when all the parts have arrived.

I like the Meshify case. It is quite small but seems to me, very well thought out (especially compared to the case I current have).

I am starting to think that I may remove the bottom front 120mm fan and put back in the panel that needs to be removed from the power supply shroud as at the same time as removing the shroud I removed the 3.5" hdd holder (I was planning on putting an intake fan on the floor of the case pointing up but that is only possible with NO 3.5" drives, in the caddy or using the alternative location of attached to the floor) and really I think I will have way more than enough flow of air for a basically watercooled PC.

I think I am aiming towards 4 fans at the front (two push, two pull through the 240mm xt45 rad). Two out on the roof and one out at the standard exhaust area. I will also point a fan directly at the VRMs which helped keep them to 80c when under full prime 95 v26.6 small stress test. Without the fan the VRM temps spiral towards 100c.

Fun times building it all :).

I will take photos of fitting the GPU block etc.

Permabanned
I personally don't understand why anyone would have separate loops as it just means extra pumps taking up room however I'd say yes, in a separate loop a dual radiator would cool your GPU.
Seperate loops are pointless ( you basically pay more to get more noise :rolleyes:), if ur afraid pump will fail and your system will burn to the ground, it wont, if the temps are too high it will throttle or shut down, it`s not 1993.
I agree seperate loops only add more noise. I'm running a Ryzen 1700 overclocked, 2 x GTX1080s, 360 rad and a 240 rad all off one D5. The only reason to run 2 seperate loops these days is if you want different colour coolants, I'd personally replumb it into one loop if you have a spare afternoon :)

No... separate loops are quieter...

Pumps have less resistance, so you get better cooling from a lower speed. Mine run 30% 24/7 and keep temps good even under full load.

Fans running at 10-20%

I have experience with both... my last build was single loop and prior loops have been single... but I'm seeing a notable improvement from dual-loops.

You also get to have contrasting colour schemes which I wanted this time...

With a decent fan controller (not too expensive either), you can control the loops independently too.

Soldato
Hi OrbitalW - So what part did you fit and to what card? A chap is asking me if he could use the non pro (no pump) option that is designed for 1080 Mini on his 1080 Ti Mini. The only option listed on the site for him is the Pro with pump.

Regarding my build at the moment - detailed yawn update below :).

I bought this base PC, upgraded the GPU to 1080, upgraded the PSU to modular 750w and since then have been messing with the cooling. https://www.chillblast.com/chillblast-fusion-adamantium-4-gaming-pc.html

I will take photos of fitting the GPU block etc.

I have Aorus GTX 1080 block, the Pro block I got from Alphacool was scanned using the Ti PCB and then listed to fit 1080/ti - told them before its the 1070/80 PCB that needed to be made and that auto fits the Ti block. Just means I have to cut 5th off the end where a gap isn't cleared for CAP placement on the 1080 aorus.

as for using the GPX non Pro- he'll have to check his PCB against the 1080 version - if its the same- it can mount. I can see alphacools logic of only listing cards they have 3D scanned rather then looking at it from pictures etc - though now they have built up good rep with companies they can get CAD files

Associate
No... separate loops are quieter...

Pumps have less resistance, so you get better cooling from a lower speed. Mine run 30% 24/7 and keep temps good even under full load.

I've run single and dual loops and have settled on single loop with dual pumps. I don't need dual pumps but I like the idea of over the top head pressure (for my loop) and redundancy. The problem with dual loop (ignoring the cosmetic desire) is that you have to plan and balance the components in each to get the same performance. If you're going to be running dual pumps at low speed then the same can be achieved in a single loop (you're doubling head pressure in serial) but you get the added benefit of redundancy. Of course this all goes out the window when cosmetic needs come into play (different colours).

Permabanned
I've run single and dual loops and have settled on single loop with dual pumps. I don't need dual pumps but I like the idea of over the top head pressure (for my loop) and redundancy. The problem with dual loop (ignoring the cosmetic desire) is that you have to plan and balance the components in each to get the same performance. If you're going to be running dual pumps at low speed then the same can be achieved in a single loop (you're doubling head pressure in serial) but you get the added benefit of redundancy. Of course this all goes out the window when cosmetic needs come into play (different colours).

Yes... for my last single loop, I had the EK Dual D5 pump... but found it noticeably louder than dual loops, each with a single D5 as it had to run around 40-50%.

Associate
OP
Update: I have the Eiswand 360 and now I have the Eiswolf GPU waterblock and backing plate with the built in pump. I looped this all together with an extra 240mm NexXxos 45mm radiator I had. I have Corsair 120mm SP High Performance on the 240mm, push and pull. It all works great. At the same time I intalled the GPU waterblock and the 240mm, I delid my CPU and replaced the paste with liquid metal and also added a Rockit larger copper IHS.

It is impossible to get my overclocked (2050mhz gpu, holds 2037 in all monitoring software and 5613mhz ram) 1080GTX anything more than +10c on ambient. The room sits around 22c on my temp gauge and the card doesn't see more than 32. Be that hours of PubG or hours of Valley or hours of anything else.

My 87000k CPU is running 4.9GHZ and 1.32v. On Prime 95 version 26.6 the cores sit between 58 and 63 after an hour of small stress test. SO that is about +36ambient to plus 41c on ambient.

I have a 120mm noctua fan sitting over my VRM heat sinks (Gigabyte Z370m D3h rev 1.0 mobo) and when running Prime 95 26.6 the VRMS go up to but then hold 83c.

If I run the latest Prime 95 small stress test, the heat is higher. The CPU can handle it and goes to about 65 to max of 70 but the VRMs climb. On the basis of 22c ambient, the VRMs climb over 100c in 3 mins and I usually shut it down.

I had a very cold day here and chilled the room to 12c ambient and the VRMs held a constant 103c on the latest prime 95 smalls stress test.

I am thinking about having some fun watercooling my VRMs but I don't see any specific waterblocks for my mobo VRMs so I may need to look at what is available and whether I can make it fit.

I'd love someone else to put forward their temps as nobody seems to discuss VRM temps properly, so I don't know how much worse my Mobo really is than the preferred Z370 style mobo that people would have recommended had I chose specifically.

Open to any feedback.

The final point is that if I turn all the fans right down and the Eiswand to it's 7v option, the GPU temp maybe creeps up +1 max +2c on ambient. This to me shows it is all running rather effectively.

Thanks for all help and to be clear I am running one big joined up loop with the 360mm Eiswand, the two pumps built in and the pump in the GPU block.

I am thinking of running a dedicated loop for the VRMs purely for fun. I have a spare 30mm thick 120mmm radiator here so it shouldn't be too hard if I can find waterblocks.

Cheers,
Steven RW

Soldato
Tried pushing the idea for VRM heatsinks to work with their CPU blocks like they current do with the GPX line up...

Scan a board, have heatsink milled and cut, then attached to CPU block which bolts to the board. One of the key selling points of their GPU blocks so would be fun to see Mobo wise....

Seems they have a few enquiries to do VRM work so will see what the future holds .

Found using much better higher grade thermal pads does wonders if you've got cooling set up like yourself .

Associate
OP
Hi,

I will write to them as well and ask.

Where do you buy better thermal pads? De8auer said the same thing when he looked at my mobo. The heat sinks look "okay" but maybe use thinner and better thermal pads.

Thanks,
Steven

Soldato
Hi,

I will write to them as well and ask.

Where do you buy better thermal pads? De8auer said the same thing when he looked at my mobo. The heat sinks look "okay" but maybe use thinner and better thermal pads.

Thanks,
Steven

either thermal grizzlie pads off here, or i got mine from alphacool but pushed 11 kwm pads - the costs start rising! 17 rate bersion is like £100!!!
the thermal pads will help draw the heat to the heatsink but if you havent got good airflow- those sinks will get hot

Associate
OP
Thanks. I have a fractal Meshify C case. Triple 120mm fans blowing in to the case. I have 2x 140mm exhaust fans on the case roof. I also have a dedicated noctua 120mm fan directly over the VRM heat sink blasting them. Fan curve at 100% from 50c CPU temp. So all in all, I think I have plenty of airflow and on the basis the rest of the items in the case are watercooled, then very little other heat sources are in the case.

I will look in to better pads. Thanks :)

Steven RW

Back
Top Bottom