Dual Screen

Soldato
Hey,

So i bought a HP 19" Widescreen and i was just thinking, wow imagine having another. Would it actually be possible to have widescreen dual monitors?

Also as this one uses the DVI, that mean the other simply uses VGA?

would they have the same quality on VGA as DVI?

On another note how would the screen actually look, would i see what i see now but on two monitors or would i be able to say use one for MSN/WMP only?

I'm not to sure on the benifits but basicly just thinking about the size well, nice!

Thanks, info appreciated

Mud

Mud

Soldato
Have a search on this forum, there's loads on dualscreens.

If your graphics card has DVI+VGA (as opposed to DVI+DVI) then you'll have to use an analogue signal on the second screen (or get a new graphics card). VGA can be as good as DVI, but it is monitor dependant...hit and miss. Once you have both screen connected you can span the desktop across them, and drag things from one screen to the next.

Ultramon and nView (if you have an nVidia graphics card) optimise use of dual screens with additional buttons (move app to next screen, span screens, etc) and allow you to add an extra taskbar on the additional screens.

A word of warning, don't expect to game on one screen and use IM on the other, when you click outside the game it will minimise, and depending on the game it may also crash.

Soldato
OP
My graphics card:

Manufacturer : ATI Technologies Inc (PowerColor (C.P. Technology Co Ltd))
Model : Radeon 9550
Bus Type : AGP
Total Memory : 256 MB
Texture Memory : 239 MB
Processor : ATI RADEON 9550 AGP (0x4153)
Converter : Internal DAC(400MHz)
Refresh Rate (min/max) : 56/75 Hz

How's that?

Soldato
desktopsmallft4.jpg

This is what my desktop looks like
move the mouse from one screen, it goes to the other
move an app from one screen it fgoes to the other,

'ultramon' IMO is a must.
is a great app for managing dual displays, and thats how ive got my windows taskbar runnign from one to the other.

hope this helps

Last edited:
Soldato
chris_r said:
Thanks....but you posting that image....and with that wallpaper just makes me want it NOW
i just realised its his custom painted case...

R B, how does running themes, (window blinds etc) effect ultramon performance. i heard it was really slow and used loads of cpu time..

Soldato
chris_r said:
Thanks....but you posting that image....and with that wallpaper just makes me want it NOW

once you go dual, you will never go back !
i just find it so useful.

calibrating them is a bit of a pain if you have 2 different screens. but its worth it in the end.

i stress again... USE ULTRAMON !

Suspended
I Just got a pair of HP w19's, bit of a problem though, when I plug in the second one on my 6800gt i can detect it and extend the desktop onto it, but the monitor won't wake up from standby, works fine on my ATI card though, grrr!!!

Latest drivers are installed too.

Back
Top Bottom