Dublin...

Soldato
Thinking about moving on job wise and taking a new contract over in Dublin for a while...

Anyone got any recommendations on places to live etc?

Dont want to be right next to temple bar but on the other hand dont want to be to far away ;) A nice connection for the tram would be handy too... :)

Im thinking of allowing about 1500euros/month for rent - am I dreaming? a lot of places I've seen are a lot more :o

Soldato
Can't directly help you but i know property prices over there are crazy! Girlfriend lives in Dun Laoghaire and her five bedroom house (5 bed but not as big as you would think) is worth about £800,000.

Associate
Blanchardstown and Ashtown (Lots of nice new apartments etc there) are quite nice if you're not bothered about being in North Dublin. Not that far from Temple Bar, lots and lots of busses. Taxis are dead cheap aswell, never paid more than 20 euro I don't think.

Places I'd stay away from are: Finglas (Litteratly when I lived there, people were shot everyday!) Ballymun and Tallaght.

Lucan isn't too bad as far as I know, but never really visited there. Dundrum and Castleknock are very, very nice areas, but I don't think it will be possible on your budget.

The most important thing I'd consider when finding somewhere to live is the traffic. Can be a nightmare, so try and find somewhere to live that isnt too far from work. Don't even think about a morning trip more than a junction of two on the M50, especially if it includes the toll! It's a car park between 7 and 9.

Soldato
Gaijin said:
Can't directly help you but i know property prices over there are crazy! Girlfriend lives in Dun Laoghaire and her five bedroom house (5 bed but not as big as you would think) is worth about £800,000.

Do you not mean euro

Soldato
Lardydah said:
Blanchardstown and Ashtown (Lots of nice new apartments etc there) are quite nice if you're not bothered about being in North Dublin. Not that far from Temple Bar, lots and lots of busses. Taxis are dead cheap aswell, never paid more than 20 euro I don't think.

Places I'd stay away from are: Finglas (Litteratly when I lived there, people were shot everyday!) Ballymun and Tallaght.

Lucan isn't too bad as far as I know, but never really visited there. Dundrum and Castleknock are very, very nice areas, but I don't think it will be possible on your budget.

The most important thing I'd consider when finding somewhere to live is the traffic. Can be a nightmare, so try and find somewhere to live that isnt too far from work. Don't even think about a morning trip more than a junction of two on the M50, especially if it includes the toll! It's a car park between 7 and 9.

Ballymun was a tip 30 years ago so no surprise there. Its been a few years since I have been to Dublin but I believe many an apartment are being built close to the Point Depot were the concerts are held, unsure of the budget though. IMO I would look to the outskirts of Dublin for value for money.

Man of Honour
Lardydah said:

I know a few people who live not far from lucan and its quite a pleasant place not too far from dublin and theres a look of nice new houses and appartments being built there

Associate
Hey there, I live in Dublin. You should get a great place within walking distance of St.Stephens Green or Templebar for 1500 yoyo's.

For example, check out this property on Hanover Quay. It's a gorgous location and 1300 a month:
http://www.daft.ie/246414

Or in the IFSC in the business centre:
http://www.daft.ie/246285

Loads of options on www.daft.ie

Your mad paying that sort of rent though!!

Soldato
OP
ErinGoBrath said:
Hey there, I live in Dublin. You should get a great place within walking distance of St.Stephens Green or Templebar for 1500 yoyo's.

For example, check out this property on Hanover Quay. It's a gorgous location and 1300 a month:
http://www.daft.ie/246414

Or in the IFSC in the business centre:
http://www.daft.ie/246285

Loads of options on www.daft.ie

Your mad paying that sort of rent though!!

Why mad?! :confused:

Soldato
Teledude said:
on for the tram would be handy too... :)

Im thinking of allowing about 1500euros/month for rent - am I dreaming? a lot of places I've seen are a lot more :o

The Luas trams are great but there are also frequent electric trains that run along the coast, lots of nice locations. Dún Laoghaire is a nice spot which isn't too far from the centre and well served by transport - that's where I'd go anyway! I reckon you stay on the southside anyway ;)

Check Daft.ie accomodation.

Rail map might be handy (sorry, you'll have to twist your head a bit)

iemapgb3.gif

Associate
Looking to move to Dublin in June (start work on June 17th). I have got a considerably lower budget than 1500 euro ;) and I will be looking through daft.ie for a good place to share with a few folk, can't wait to tell the truth!!

Associate
Rossmac said:
Looking to move to Dublin in June (start work on June 17th). I have got a considerably lower budget than 1500 euro ;) and I will be looking through daft.ie for a good place to share with a few folk, can't wait to tell the truth!!

You'll love it. You'll get a nice double room in a central area for circa 500 yoyo's.

Happy hunting!

Associate
Salary is 19000euro and I plan to stay for 12months. Working in Mespil Road ( I think I have spoke to you before) - would the best way to simply share a house? or to rent a room? and is 500euro the norm?

Associate
Rossmac said:
Salary is 19000euro and I plan to stay for 12months. Working in Mespil Road ( I think I have spoke to you before) - would the best way to simply share a house? or to rent a room? and is 500euro the norm?

I don't me to sound bad but I think you'll struggle to live in Dublin and rent on that salary. It's a very expensive city.

The one positive is that Mespil Road is a lovely place. You working in the Mespil Hotel or the Bank of Ireland Assets Management?

Associate
Bank of Ireland Asset Mangament

Well that is the salary they are giving me, and people have obviously done it before me, as it is a 15month placement for university, so I would figure that I could live on that salary... I hope :(

Associate
I worked there for 4 months a few years ago..... not much to do in Dublin except go out on the booze.... that gets boring pretty quickly......

Soldato
OP
Looks like I might have secured a contract down in the big Leopardstown complex so am looking in Sandyford and the surrounding areas for an apartment - seem to be all be 1300eu/month for a 1 bed place but they all look very modern and nice :D

Soldato
Teledude said:
Looks like I might have secured a contract down in the big Leopardstown complex so am looking in Sandyford and the surrounding areas for an apartment - seem to be all be 1300eu/month for a 1 bed place but they all look very modern and nice :D

Comhghairdeas agus fáilte go Báile Átha Cliath (congrats!) :)

Sandyford is a great location - massive development going on there at the moment.

It's served by the ring motorway, tram, and the N11 dualer is close by. You're also 10 mins drive from the Dublin and Wicklow mountains, amazing places to see.

Will you have a jammer?

Soldato
OP
Morlan said:
Comhghairdeas agus fáilte go Báile Átha Cliath (congrats!) :)

Sandyford is a great location - massive development going on there at the moment.

It's served by the ring motorway, tram, and the N11 dualer is close by. You're also 10 mins drive from the Dublin and Wicklow mountains, amazing places to see.

Will you have a jammer?

A Jammer?!! :p

Does look like a lovely place - can't wait :D

Will I have any problem getting a lease without a PPS number/Irish bank account?? :)

Back
Top Bottom