Duke nukem forever 2001

Soldato
The music on one of the old trailers for this was amazing. I remember watching a low quality video from a demo disk and it's still stuck in my head. The game looked immense for the time too.

Man of Honour
Would love to see the code behind some of the early trailer stuff - stock Quake 2 never had function_trains which could change their yaw or pitch and had limited transparency support especially on moving brush models like trains, doors or lifts, etc. sprite support for transparency was also pretty poor making things like lens flare effect problematic. Also render distance and support for large maps was limited making stuff like long highway chases a challenge.

Caporegime
The original forum thread on 4Channel has already been closed down but you can still read it.

https://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/598358716

I found a link to download it but not sure whether it can be posted here. 848mb is the archive size. Look on archive.org the Internet Archive.

Odd it's that small, the arstechnica article I linked claimed the demo they got was spread across 4 dvd's.

Soldato
Odd it's that small, the arstechnica article I linked claimed the demo they got was spread across 4 dvd's.

The original leaked one I downloaded you have to follow instructions to "build" it they are quite straightforward. Seen another on the aforementioned site with it ready built and its 2.6gb download. Its definitely legit (and ropey) as I've "built" it and had a quick play.

Caporegime
The original leaked one I downloaded you have to follow instructions to "build" it they are quite straightforward. Seen another on the aforementioned site with it ready built and its 2.6gb download. Its definitely legit (and ropey) as I've "built" it and had a quick play.

The ars build they had was in 2006 so it had progressed a bit, pity this version lacking the engine powered ***** weapon. :p

Associate
I’ve tried getting this to work but keep getting “can’t find ini:engine.engine.gameengine in configuration file” error.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Edit: never mind I’ve sussed it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I’ve tried getting this to work but keep getting “can’t find ini:engine.engine.gameengine in configuration file” error.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Edit: never mind I’ve sussed it.

There's apparently 2 versions, one works right away with no messing (september), the other needs folders copied to it.

Associate
You just need to copy patches to the October folder. Doesn’t take much to get it working.

I really don’t understand why they didn’t keep working in this. Such a waste of what could have been an amazing game.

Associate
You just need to copy patches to the October folder. Doesn’t take much to get it working.

I really don’t understand why they didn’t keep working in this. Such a waste of what could have been an amazing game.

Constantly chasing to be the best mentality and consequently ran out of funds. Or at least that's what i read, it's been a long time since i was an avid DN3d player. Only a bad thing because they didn't quite get there, but admirable still.

Caporegime
The massive irony is, Broussard had a raging stiffy for the game to be the most up to the minute game in terms of tech when it was released. And what finally released in 2011 was massively dated and looked very basic to say the least.

How Scott Miller didn't punch him in the head and get the game released long before then is mind boggling. They apparently threw around 20 million of their own money at it and in the end had to sell the game to gearbox, who then released a stitched together game comprised of the most finished maps. They claim what they released was broussards vision, but comparing it to the 2001 trailer it's very different.

Man of Honour
Looks like Miller and Broussard are having words, George has a different take on what killed the company vs the public perception that he’s an idiot that wanted more shiny shiny,

Having worked on a bunch of games/mods which never saw the light of day (for instance Kingpin SRT Alpha where internal drama meant the team folded with several going on to Silicon Ice who made Urban Terror) I have some fairly good insight into how dysfunctional projects were of that era and the clash of lacking project management/project lead, people with "great ideas" with no ability to understand how they would or wouldn't work in reality, people plodding away on the heavy lifting often disconnected from those coming up with ideas, the people who had no idea what the were supposed to be working on who those coming up with the ideas seemed to think could read their minds along with the clash of personalities especially in creative areas.

Often what was lacking though was someone just sitting everyone down, getting everyone on the same page, and being like this is what we need to achieve [milestone] and delegating tasks and the next check in point to keep things progressing. Sadly these days though it has gone too much the other way in many studios where everything has to march to a set progress and small issues, etc. never get revisited.

I've edited it slightly for reasons but fair few times things ended abruptly with emails like:

I didn't know you were still working on it, it's been so long since we last talked...

We have a problem in the team. There are NO primary coders left, just a few part timers working on ancillary code.

I wouldn't want you to go on spending you time\effort on a project that could quite likely fold.

It pain's me to say it as I've got probably more time invested than anyone else in the team

I have started porting my work to ..., the coders there are prolific and very easy to get along with. If your interested I can put your in touch with them.

So, in short my apologies and luck be with you whatever road you decide to take.

Man of Honour
98:)

I just watched the 98 trailer again, if you compare it to the 2001 trailer the 98 version looks like some rough user created mod. The 2001 version looks a ton more polished and visually a lot better, engine helped a bit there I suppose.
I actually much preferred the E3 '98 trailer, I got it on a magazine cover disk and thought it was absolutely incredible. Even when they released further trailers I remember thinking "this looks less awesome than the old version".
Only downside really was the video resolution for the '98 trailer was understandably very low, 320x240 or something, so if you watch it today it will be very pixelated.

Man of Honour
I actually much preferred the E3 '98 trailer, I got it on a magazine cover disk and thought it was absolutely incredible. Even when they released further trailers I remember thinking "this looks less awesome than the old version".
Only downside really was the video resolution for the '98 trailer was understandably very low, 320x240 or something, so if you watch it today it will be very pixelated.

Yeah the 98 trailer really felt like they were pushing out the boat while having a good balance of fun and gameplay - the later incarnations increasingly were trying too hard with the outlandish while not looking like as much fun, or just conventional, gameplay wise.

Caporegime

Upscaled version of the 98 trailer.

Can't agree with that being more impressive of the 2, the 2001 trailer is arguably one of the most hyped pc trailers ever, it showed a massive tech upgrade, especially in terms of visuals. The 98 trailer just pales in comparison.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom