Dumbbells - Budget options?

Consigliere
Looking to purchase a couple of dumbbells but no idea where to start. I've googled for a bit and it seems like you can do a lot with them. As for how much i can lift, not much! :o

Questions...

- Would it be best to get a few different size ones or one that i just attach more weight to?

- Does brand honestly matter when it comes to weights? Is it just done to the quality or is there more to it?

- Any tips for a complete beginner?

Cheers!

Man of Honour
Letting us know what you plan to use them for will help us give you advice :) A lot of people will probably try and advise you away from just purchasing DBs though.

If you're buying some non-olympic DBs then I'd personally get a reasonably cheap set with metal weights (steer clear of the sand-filled plastic ones). Once you have them and have reached the limit with them (which will be very quickly) you can purchase a few 5kg/etc plates to stick on there. Probably the cheapest way to do things.

Consigliere
OP
I want to join a gym also but i fear i won't be able to get there all the time. My arms need the most work so i thought i'd get some dumbbells to build a bit of muscle.

And great start...already in the wrong section. :o

Man of Honour
I want to join a gym also but i fear i won't be able to get there all the time. My arms need the most work so i thought i'd get some dumbbells to build a bit of muscle.

You will probably find that your core strength is much more in need of work than your arms. DBs can help you out with this too if you do something like DB squats and the like but it is definitely much much better for you to do something 'proper' (e.g. something at a gym unless you spend a lot of money on weights/cage/etc).

Pick up some cheaper DBs for now but definitely ask/research for exercises to do other than brocep curls :)

Caporegime

You'll probably find your arms need less work than you think, one of the smallest muscles on your body. You want to be working your WHOLE body not just your arms.

Dbs really won't cut it, nor will just working you're arms.

Consigliere
OP
You'll probably find your arms need less work than you think, one of the smallest muscles on your body. You want to be working your WHOLE body not just your arms.

Dbs really won't cut it, nor will just working you're arms.

Don't get me wrong - i am not going to be sitting at home doing curls every other day. :p

Man of Honour
Don't get me wrong - i am not going to be sitting at home doing curls every other day. :p

That's what I would do. :eek: :o ;) :D

In all seriousness, you can do a fair old amount with dumbells, but the amount of money required to achieve this (i.e. a decent set of dumbells that will last long enough or have enough weight/whatever) means you can get a decent full weights set (i.e. bar, rack and plates) or a gym membership.

Ultimately, you should be thinking about why you can't always get the gym as often as you 'should' or whatever. Even twice a week at a decent gym would be more beneficial (and better value in the long run) than a set of dumbells for home use.

Consigliere
OP
Appreciate that - thanks.

I'll browse around online. I'll be aiming to spend around £25-30 or so i think.

There are some great routines online actually which is promising!

Man of Honour
Appreciate that - thanks.

I'll browse around online. I'll be aiming to spend around £25-30 or so i think.

There are some great routines online actually which is promising!

Yes and no.

£30 will not get you anything that will last more that two weeks once your initial adaptation kicks in. After that, you might as well use them as muscular paperweights.

HOWEVER... if you are desperate to not spend anything reasonable or join a gym there are a few things you can do. But I'm going to try and persuade you not to skimp on this...

You have to think of this process/mindset as an investment: not only in kit, but in your look or your athletic ability. You wouldn't go out on a date wearing Lynx aftershave and Primark vest, shorts and faux-leather loafers, would you? In the same way, why would you treat your aesthetic/prowess the same way? Do you want Tesco Value performance/guns? Or are you more interested in looking/being awesome? ;)

Consigliere
OP
So back to my original OP, what would you recommend that would last me more than two weeks? And by that do you mean the actual weight and progression or just the quality?

Caporegime
So back to my original OP, what would you recommend that would last me more than two weeks? And by that do you mean the actual weight and progression or just the quality?

DBs on there own won't cut it really, you'll need at least a bench and DBs up to 30kgs. But then your cutting out any sort of compound weights.

Did you look at steedies thread?

I assume your goals is for some asthteics?

Associate
people always say to buy from proper sport/fitness places, but if you're really not looking to spend a lot then Tesco usually do a 5kg cast iron weight for £3.50 (£10 now but will be back down soon).
be looking around £40 for 30kg dumbells.

uv

uv

Soldato
tbh, if you're only wanting to spend £30 and nothing else on gym equipment, then it may be worth getting a set of resistance bands such as the bodylastics. I never actually use mine, but I would if I didn't have any actual weights or access to a gym. They'll give variable resistance for squats, rows, kickbacks, curls, OHP etc. Quite versatile compared to anything else you'll get for your budget.

In the same price range, kettlebells are great for compound exercises - but you can only afford one kettlebell, so you may struggle performing different exercises, eg pressing the same weight you can swing.

Man of Honour

You're missing the point. If you spend £30, you will get £30 worth of aesthetics/power/strength. I.e. not much... in fact, not much more than will deflate within two weeks of stopping training.

Whilst it is possible to make workouts amusing with £30kg dumbells, it's only funny for other people. You will need somewhere to do chinups/pullups, too, but assuming you're DESPERATE for dumbells only...

For instance, an example routine might look something like...

DAY 1:

- Goblet squat 3*10
- Pistol squat 3*10
- Single leg dumbell RDLs 4*6
- Dumbell good mornings 4*6
- Rear-foot elevated split squat (deficit is optional) 3*10
- Plank (proper one) 3*30secs.

DAY 2:

- Dumbell bench 3*8
- Dumbell/ renegade row 3*10
- Reverse fly 3*12
- Incline bench 3*8
- Table inverse row 3*8
- Front/lat raise 3*12
- Pushups 3*10
- Reverse Crunches 3*8

DAY 3:

- Dumbell thruster 4*6
- Dumbell snatch 3*6 (*chuckles*)
- Strict press 3*8
- Broceps 4*1meeeeeeeelion
- Single arm/single leg plank;

On things like bench, squats, RDLs and other presses, however, and depending on your training history, you might last 6 weeks on your current dumbells, at which point weighted/hand-strand pushups and other stuff becomes increasingly important.

Caporegime
Looking to purchase a couple of dumbbells but no idea where to start.

- Any tips for a complete beginner?

Cheers!

Join a gym, seriously guys like you who buy dumbells will never use them, because they think £30 is enough whereas it only gets you some small crappy dumbells which will be useless after a couple of weeks.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18270342

you don't need to spend thousands to be able to do a decent resistance programme at home but you do need to spend a lot more than £30 if you want that programme to last you longer than 2 weeks.

for beginners a barbell > dumbells imo

you need to do something like 5 x 5 stronglifts which is a very tightly structured regime but also very simple to follow.

you only do 3 workouts a week and only 3-5 exercises per workout.

all those dumbell workouts you have looked at online or in mens health will be complete garbage in comparison to 5 x 5 stronglifts.

join a gym, seriously otherwise your just wasting your own time and money.

Back
Top Bottom