Dune Part Two, which cinema screen is best?

Soldato
Just had a look at available seats for Saturday, and almost all of the good IMAX seats are taken if we all want to sit together, so it looks like we're going Dolby Cinema anyway! :cry:

We saw Oppenheimer on IMAX and it was stunning, hopefully Dune on Dolby Cinema is just as good, if not, we'll book up earlier for the IMAX over the next couple of weeks.

Thats a shame - Dolby’s less popular clearly but at least you get the seats you want.

Associate
I was thinking about seeing it this weekend too at the Metro centre IMAX and noticed how packed it still is. As usual some less desirable front seats are still available. Is it really that bad an experience up front? I haven't been to an IMAX screening in 10 years and that was in the US.

Soldato
OP
I was thinking about seeing it this weekend too at the Metro centre IMAX and noticed how packed it still is. As usual some less desirable front seats are still available. Is it really that bad an experience up front? I haven't been to an IMAX screening in 10 years and that was in the US.

I've only been to the IMAX once for Oppenheimer, we sat middle middle, and it was amazing, but I just think it would be awkward watching from the side or up front.

Last edited:
Associate
I went to the metro opening weekend, but went to the Dolby screen.

I’m not sure if the “imax” had been upgraded, but I remember from dune 1 and maverick the screen had dirty smears which especially showed through the desert scenes and it just seemed a bit bland on colours.

Dolby screen albeit smaller, was fantastic, seats much more comfortable, sound excellent and it had some rumble effect built into the seats.

Overall it seemed a better experience than I had ver remember their fake-imax being

Soldato
For me it can feel like you’re having to move your head around to see the full screen in you’re too close / off to the side.

Associate
I went to the metro opening weekend, but went to the Dolby screen.

I’m not sure if the “imax” had been upgraded, but I remember from dune 1 and maverick the screen had dirty smears which especially showed through the desert scenes and it just seemed a bit bland on colours.

Dolby screen albeit smaller, was fantastic, seats much more comfortable, sound excellent and it had some rumble effect built into the seats.

Overall it seemed a better experience than I had ver remember their fake-imax being
Good point actually, I haven't been to a Dolby cinema screening yet. I'm sure I'll appreciate the improvements in projection over the dull whatever is still in use in my local cinema. I might just go and then catch an IMAX show another day.

Associate
Just had a look at available seats for Saturday, and almost all of the good IMAX seats are taken if we all want to sit together, so it looks like we're going Dolby Cinema anyway! :cry:

We saw Oppenheimer on IMAX and it was stunning, hopefully Dune on Dolby Cinema is just as good, if not, we'll book up earlier for the IMAX over the next couple of weeks.

Don't book IMAX tickets after a couple of shandies... you might end up front row, next to door, like I did for Oppenheimer... nice diamond shaped screen there!

Herself wants to go back again, so might do the Dolby this time.

Soldato
OP
Just got back, more than happy with the Dolby setup, compared very well to Oppenheimer in IMAX.

Stunning sound, fantastic visuals, and a half decent storyline, highly recommended.

Caporegime
Well, I'd argue 1.90 is closer in shape to 2.35 anyway so...

Disagree. And I'd imagine half the people working on a film like Dune (i.e. the sound crew) would also disagree. It's the whole experience.

Or I could watch it at work in what has been described as one of the top 5 private screening rooms in Soho for free ;)

With respect, I didn't need to. But having watched it, firstly he saw it in IMAX at 1.90 anyway so not a huge difference from Dolby. Certainly more 'widescreen' e.g. traditional shape than true IMAX. He shows some pics here which demonstrate exactly what I have been trying to say that we don't know how they cropped it for either ratio. As-in, it's not necessarily the case you get "more" top and bottom in comparison to Dolby or 1.90. And there's more highlights/detail in the Dolby presentation. Mind you, all in all it's not the best video because he's not comparing true IMAX. And he's just comparing two specific theatres, like when he's talking about bass.

He also speaks at length about the whole experience of the cinema, crappy IMAX seats that are uncomfortable, older screen, look at that carpet etc. That whole experience matters more to me when I pay to see a film, than getting another metre of sky above a characters head ;)

Anyway, like I say. It's personal preference.

Where does "iSense" fit into the mix? A local cinema has one and first I thought it was a Spanish thing, but can see online some Odeon cinemas have it in the UK as well.

rp2000

Last edited:
Soldato
Where does "iSense" fit into the mix? A local cinema has one and first I thought it was a Spanish thing, but can see online some Odeon cinemas have it in the UK as well.

rp2000

Its Odeons version of Cineworld's 'super screen' - normally 4k digital projector (2 for 3d), Dolby Atmos, comfortable chairs and larger screen. Nothing to do with IMAX and just uses the standard digital version of the film.

Soldato
So I totally didn’t get round to seeing this yet. Looking at next week, no IMAX screenings (I was going to give it a go), only 70mm presentations. Did anyone watch it in 70mm? I’m sure it’s a marketing ploy, but I’m intrigued..

Soldato
So I totally didn’t get round to seeing this yet. Looking at next week, no IMAX screenings (I was going to give it a go), only 70mm presentations. Did anyone watch it in 70mm? I’m sure it’s a marketing ploy, but I’m intrigued..

Cinema listings for Friday onwards go up tonight..

70mm non iMax is just the normal 2.35 digital version transferred to film so more of a preference thing than a benefit.

Soldato
Might try and see it again in a couple of weeks on IMAX when it's a bit quieter. :)
One of the reasons I've stopped going to the cinema all together.

After the amount of times I had to politely ask noisy individuals to be a bit more considerate or ask the cinema staff to do so, my missus was sure I would eventually get stabbed by some incensed, mad teenager!

So I'll be waiting patiently for the Bluray and watch it on my large LG OLED TV and 7.2.4 Atmos surround sound set up, which also gives me a much more enjoyable (and safer :)) experience.

Back
Top Bottom