Dunkirk (Summer 2017) directed by Christopher Nolan

Associate
Saw it in the 4DX over the weekend. Whilst Transformers felt a bit like I was being thrown around just for the sake of it, Dunkirk used the effects much better. The seats rock with the sea and shake a lot whilst in the Spitfire. The first shot that comes through the seat was an awesome way to start as well and plenty of people jumped at it :D

On the film itself, it was good, but didn't reach greatness for me. 7/10

Permabanned
Totally agree. The soundtrack just kept on and on, didn't relent (not in 'war is relentless' kind of way, just headache inducing). Hated it. I tried to enjoy the movie, but this was one this that kept me from doing so.

The soundtracks to Intersteller and Inception was bang on though. Brilliant and perfectly suited the film and what was going on at the time.

Yeah I think that's the one truly 'marmite' thing about the flick. It'll either pull you in further or complete ruin the experience for you.

Soldato
Saw it at the IMAX last night, it did feel a little like being at an orchestra in the way the narrative was done.

Also one thing I noticed is almost the complete lack of blood in the film, although that would be the 12A certificate. Be interesting to see what it looks like on Blu-Ray with director's cut and maybe slightly expand on Cillian Murphy's character and what happened to him between the acts. Have to say I left the cinema a little underwhelmed by the experience as a whole but in its own right it's a fantastic piece of cinema.

One disappointing thing was that I was hoping we'd see some rearguard action from the men who stayed behind to hold off the Germans for as long as they could, French, British or both.

Permabanned
Snip

One disappointing thing was that I was hoping we'd see some rearguard action from the men who stayed behind to hold off the Germans for as long as they could, French, British or both.

Indeed, have to say I was slightly sad that was left out too, though I can totally understand why it was.

Caporegime
Be interesting to see what it looks like on Blu-Ray with director's cut and maybe slightly expand on Cillian Murphy's character and what happened to him between the acts. Have to say I left the cinema a little underwhelmed by the experience as a whole but in its own right it's a fantastic piece of cinema.

This was a Directors cut. Chris Nolan has total control. I seriously doubt he gets notes from the studio.

Also what's to say about Cillian Murphys character?
He clearly managed to get on a boat at some point and it was sunk by a Torpedo from a German U-boat and he was the only survivor.

Soldato
Indeed, have to say I was slightly sad that was left out too, though I can totally understand why it was.

Yeah I think in a way it was to reinforce this theme of confusion on the ground, as no one quite knew when the Germans would roll up on the beach. Film does a good job of avoiding the usual general and politician scenes which not only eliminates the usual war film cliche but keep the viewer slightly in the dark and maintains the feeling of isolation.

Still now that we have a recent war film on the British in WWII, we may see some more appear in coming years ;)

EDIT:
This was a Directors cut. Chris Nolan has total control. I seriously doubt he gets notes from the studio.

Also what's to say about Cillian Murphys character?
He clearly managed to get on a boat at some point and it was sunk by a Torpedo from a German U-boat and he was the only survivor.

Yeah it was clear what happened, but felt like a missing scene, albeit not a completely necessary one.

I do imagine Nolan gets a lot of control over what he does but it felt very scaled back in terms of even smallest sights of blood. It's not really his style to shock with that and he was portraying the mental and psychological breakdown of men here, but be interesting if there will be any changes to home release.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Yeah I think in a way it was to reinforce this theme of confusion on the ground, as no one quite knew when the Germans would roll up on the beach. Film does a good job of avoiding the usual general and politician scenes which not only eliminates the usual war film cliche but keep the viewer slightly in the dark and maintains the feeling of isolation.

Still now that we have a recent war film on the British in WWII, we may see some more appear in coming years ;)

Let's hope so! I would love to see a 'Battle of Britain' movie done by a competent modern Director.

Caporegime
Not saying there is more to come, but during the Kermode and Mayo interview on the Podcast, Nolan kinda seemed to be hinting there are other WWII battles he would like to make a movie of.

Associate
Saw this last night. Over hyped going into it so my expectations were high, I left feeling somewhat disappointed. I think without the constant background music it would have been a totally different film, it did well at keeping constant tension. That's how I'd describe the film, tense. The air battles were the best bit overall. The initial 'One Day', 'One week' threw me at the start, seemed like an odd description.

Bit that annoyed me at the end when the Admiral stayed behind 'for the french'. It was day time as he said that to the other officer casting off. It cuts to that officers view looking up at him and it was night time. Did I miss something there?

Soldato
Yeah that was weird, another small thing I noticed is when the guy reads out the infamous Churchill speech, just as he speaks about not surrending, we have Tom Hardy surrendering to the Germans :D

Soldato
Totally agree. The soundtrack just kept on and on, didn't relent (not in 'war is relentless' kind of way, just headache inducing). Hated it. I tried to enjoy the movie, but this was one this that kept me from doing so.

The soundtracks to Intersteller and Inception was bang on though. Brilliant and perfectly suited the film and what was going on at the time.

Hans Zimmer is a flipping genius.

Associate
The sound of those stuka's strafing.... blew my mind. Literally sent chills down my spine, god only knows what it must have been like in real life.

Back
Top Bottom