Duron cooling (sad,yes)

Soldato
I have managed to drag together a little 1Ghz Duron based system from bits & pieces I found at the back of my cupboard. I am thinking of putting together a 0db box and having it tucked away in my bedroom as a torrent/storage server.

This was also the last PC I had air cooled (I think), so I really know squat about modern, 3rd party cpu heatsinks. I do know I am quite limited as it's a socket A based system and all the searches I have done so far have turned up heatsinks that are not socket A compatible, so what I would like you kind people to tell me is if this would cool the cpu without a fan. Bear in mind there will be no fans in the case, not even a PSU fan.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It's not so much the cost as the noise. As it is in my bedroom, which is noise free, I don't want to hear it when I am in bed. I guess a 90 or 120mm fan turning very slowly would be ok. The case has a hole cut in the side, left over from where a blowhole used to be. I was hoping the heat would just dissipate out through that.

For reference, the PC would be about 7-8 feet away from my bed - so long as I can't hear the fans then I am happy to put some low rpm ones in there.

Permabanned
Is there an option in the BIOS to change vcore?

If there is maybe you could undervolt the CPU a bit to create less heat.

I reckon that heatsink...with 2 120mm case fans would keep it under 60c full load tbh...IMO without any kind of case cooling, even with that massive heatsink the processor would be heading the wrong side of 75c under load as them old morgans ran quite hot...like Athlon XPs but with less L2 cache IIRC.

Back
Top Bottom