Dust on filter as soon as I removed it from packet?

Soldato
Hey,

I just want to know if I'm being over the top flapping over dust on a lense filter? I took it out of the packet, looked at it and it already had dust on it! :(

The urge to clean it was almost too much but I'm wondering just how detrimental it will be to my photos?

If it needs cleaning, what is the best way to do it?

Thanks

Soldato
doubt it will make zero difference to your images, some of my lenses get stupidly dirty and never had any quality issues (one of my lenses got a bit of dirt on it once and i just used my filthy paws to wipe it off, smudging more crap on it) - I think for the most part of the focal plane just completely ignores it.

but yeh I think your being a little OTT - dust is pretty much part and parcel of life, nothing you can do about it.

Caporegime
Or just use your t-shirt to clean it...

If it gets really bad a quick rinse under clean water and then a wipe with a towel...

(Seriously :p)

Associate
It's only an issue when you stop your aperture down.

Not even a problem then. The further from the sensor you are the less likely you are to ever notice it, that's why big lumps of dust and insects in lenses have zero effect on photos.

Read this article! Even a smashed lens won't make a huge difference unless you're shooting into light. I'm sure a few tiny pieces of dust aren't going to make any difference at all.

Soldato
I vacuum pack my lens when I'm not using them.

Expensive, but it's the only way to be sure they are protected from the evils!

Back
Top Bottom