Dust

Caporegime
Simple topic I guess, but quite a relevant one in my case!

I want to put my servers in the loft. But, it's very dusty. Now I'm getting a cabinet with a door on, but I can't see that that will make a huge amount of difference, given where the fans will draw the air in from.

I'm sure a lot of people/some people/any(?) have computers in their loft; short of a loft conversion (believe me, thats been touted by the other half) how do you protect them from dust?

Associate
I'm pretty sure you can buy dustproof cabinets, which are probably worth investigating.
Your next issue will be the heat, lofts can get pretty toasty, especially in Summer.

Permabanned
Lofts are fine from sept/oct onwards , but in mid summer the temps will
be extracting the urine hot , the ambient maybe 30deg C or more , then
factor in the heat generated from the equipment.

Caporegime
OP
Aye, sadly they're the only place I can put them. Under orders and all that. Bugger.

So..how to protect from dust and cool servers well. It's not a massive server rack, just a couple of servers, switches and a ups.

Hmm, thinking about it under the stairs is a possibility, but then the rack would have to be silent, which I doubt it could be.

Last edited:
Associate
How about using ducting. Connect one end to the case and the other end to grills installed in the soffits?

Along the same lines as a bathroom extractor fan setup.

Associate
Another option would be to install it in a wardrobe or other cupboard.

You mention noise being an issue. What sort of server is this?

Associate
I've had switches in the loft which were almost unbearably loud.

Wow, that's surprising, isn't it. :eek:

Now you mention it, I remember a while back seeing a picture of some guy's setup where he had all his equipment on a platform which was suspended from the rafters using bungee chords. I'm guessing now that he was trying to solve the same problem as you found.

Man of Honour
Wow, that's surprising, isn't it. :eek:

Now you mention it, I remember a while back seeing a picture of some guy's setup where he had all his equipment on a platform which was suspended from the rafters using bungee chords. I'm guessing now that he was trying to solve the same problem as you found.

Bear in mind, I was in the room directly below and I am a bit of a light sleeper, but still.

daz

daz

Soldato
DC/laptop power supply... fanless chipset... passive cooling on the CPU will be a very good way forward in a dusty environment. Then just have a large 120mm fan blowing across the motherboard.

Soldato
I have my router and server in the airing cupboard underneath the boiler. It gets a little hot, but it's tucked away and quiet.

Back
Top Bottom