1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD drive not reading DVDs

Discussion in 'Optical Storage & Writing' started by Smokey Deza, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Smokey Deza

Wise Guy

My PC uses the Windows7 CD as a boot disk. But as per the title, its not reading disks.

I have bought a new DVD drive but I'm not convinced it's the problem. See, I had this defection before, and switching it over to a different SATA port fixed the problem.

No such luck this time. If it's not the drive what other reasons could there be for it not reading disks when prompted?

Thanks

2. d_brennen

Capodecina

So it isn't working in new drive too?

3. Smokey Deza

Wise Guy

Gonna try shortly when I get home. Just anticipating what else it might be if the new drive doesn't remedy the problem

4. Smokey Deza

Wise Guy

Replacing drive fixed the issue.

5. divergent

Gangster

Do people still use CD/DVD lens cleaning discs on drives?
    I haven't used a CD or DVD drive for years, but am interested and wondered if it could be a dirty lens?

6. modd1uk

Gangster

You're too modern, its all about taking the cartridge out and blowing it :p.

Had I of seen this thread earlier I'd of just sent you a replacement DVD-RW OP, I've got that many sat around doing nothing! Majority of case manufactures for their "gaming" cases have removed the option to install an optical drive.

7. Meddling-Monk

Hitman

I have an old system where the BIOS doesn't know how to boot other than via a pre-existing hard drive or via an optical drive. It's a Gigabyte 8IRXP with a P4 Northwood 1.8ghz, so for some cases like that an optical drive is still essential.

If anyone is interested, it's a legacy Windows 98 gaming rig, used for any games that couldn't be run on later systems. Although thats getting less and less important now as they get updates from fans or Steam/GoG. Previously used for: Star Trek Armada, Star Trek Armada II, Star Trek Birth of the Federation, Dark Forces II Jedi knight, Jedi Knight II Jedi Outcast, XCOM (The original), XCOM II (Terror from the Deep), XCOM III (Apocalypse), Janes USAF, and a whole lot of other mid 90's games.

8. soulhunter123

Gangster

What about using a virtual machine to run it? That's what I do and it works beautifully.

9. Meddling-Monk

Hitman

I could go that route, but I had the system anyway, and so I kept all the pieces together. Including Soundblaster game-port controllers for the appropriate games (some pre-USB flight stick controllers for example). I don't want to spend more money to get an old system hardware working on newer hardware to play games (conversion cables for controllers, etc). But yes, that would work just as well. :)