DVD Drives / Regions

Associate
This might seem a strange question but I'm moving to Canada next week and was wondering how I might be able to play both UK and Canadian DVD's on my PC. If I bought a second drive in Canada, could I use one drive for watching region 1 DVD's and one for region 2?

I'm not sure about the legality of this so if I am breaking any rules talking about this then I sincerely appologies.

Thanks in advance,

Karl

Suspended
Just flash your drive to RPC-1.
Simple. No need to have two drives, for R1 & R2 playback. Although two drives are still useful for reading in two discs at the same time.

Associate
OP
Might look into flashing the drive although I know that the DVD codec included with Windows Vista doesn't work with a flashed drive.

Associate
I would go with having a second drive as Region 1, flashing your dvd drive to region free can cause problems. Firmware upgraded my asus dvd drive a while back, went flawless. :D Unfortunately the drive failed to work with dvd decrypter afterwards. :( This was a firmware update from ASUS!! Not a 3rd party.

To answer you question on DVD decrypter it does actually remove region protection as well as copyright protection. HOWEVER you wouldn't want to spend WEEKS copying your dvds to your harddrive when a second drive would play your region 1 dvds.

DVD Region+CSS Free I believe is one software answer to region coding by allowing powerdvd etc to play any region dvd. Haven't used it years so I can't say how well it works. Sadly only 30 day trial, not sure what free alternatives are available.

http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd-region-free.htm

Back
Top Bottom