DVD is dead !!!

Don
DVD likely could have been properly killed off when 4K Blurays were introduced had "the industry" wanted to - was only a matter of removing DVD, price Bluray at DVD prices e.g. £10 for a new released, and then 4K for the current Bluray price £15. Instead they added them as premium cashgrab option at £20.

Soldato
I'd think the average John Lewis customer could afford to buy a Blu-ray player if they still want to watch DVDs.

John Lewis isn't where you would have gone for a really basic cheap DVD player in the first place.

There's also all of those consoles out there that'll play them.

Man of Honour
JLP sells mainly hardware. The DVD player may be dead as far as they're concerned; and TBH, I am surprised it has taken them this long to kick the hardware in to touch. But it's far too early to call in the grave diggers on the format of DVD.

BD player prices are a few tens of Pounds more than DVD players, and they often include streaming services. For JLP, the focus is on retail space. Taking out two or three slow-moving products is good management of their selling space.

Soldato
I honestly can't remember the last time I bought a DVD disc for my own use (I've bought them as presents for others) 90% of my disc collection are blu-rays (no 4k & not planning to upgrade anytime soon) I collect my mum from a Charity shop she works at twice a month and the amount of DVD's in there beggars belief (there must be getting on for 5-600 in there at any time) They do sell for 50p a time but they come back as quickly as they go out so my mum says.

Associate
not surprising, the additional streaming features most bluray players give make them worth the smidge extra it costs to buy, even if you dont play/own blurays. Why upgrade your 5/6 year old non-smart TV for £££ when you can spend £70 on a good bluray player?

Associate
won't happen for at least another 10 years

not enough bandwidth to go around. streaming is the only real solution but not everyone can stream due to slow broadband so therefore it's not a solution which many would be happy with.

Was thinking the same...how long have HD being available now? 10? 15 years? and we still have analogue stations!

They need to open more of the frequency spectrum!

Caporegime
Was thinking the same...how long have HD being available now? 10? 15 years? and we still have analogue stations!

they can't not enough to go around. they need to get everyone onto broadband then basically tell people SD through broadcast. HD and 4K through streaming.

people would be mad though if their internet went halfway through a match, etc. but it's the only way really I can see it happening. I'm fine I'm on 350MB so I say bring it on. But I could see a lot of people moving homes, etc. I would never buy a house which didn't have VM cable.

Man of Honour

But instead of opening up more, they're shutting it down.

The 800MHz band has already been sold off for 4G. That's RF channels 60-65. Now they're working on the 700MHz band clearance (Chnls 51-59).

The only hope for more Freeview HD channels is for massively more efficient CODECs. That's what happened with SD vs HD vs UHD (4K) as the disc formats evolve.

One of the problems though with the Public Service Broadcast network is the need to maintain backwards compatibility with the millions of TVs and set top boxes and recorders in people's homes.

One of the other big issues is the need to provide 98% geographic coverage with the basic PSB channel package without adjacent transmitters interfering with each other in the overlap regions.

Soldato
All the super markets around where I live all have lots of DVD's for sale and hardly any Blu-ray disc's and no 4k disc's at all ..

Then again 4k Discs are normally well over priced and am guessing very few people are willing to pay the extra cost for them..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom