DVD-R media

Associate
I have not bought any DVD-R media for at least 5 years :eek:
I used to buy TDK blanks but it would seem they have left the market nowadays, well i can't find any anywhere.
Are people still using DVD-R media nowadays or has everybody moved over to Blu-Ray's blanks?

Also what is the best DVD-R media to get nowadays and if i'm allowed to ask the best place to buy it from online?

All1

Associate
OP
Still have a couple of cakes boxes. Don't think I'll ever use them, a HD works out better value for money and faster.
I do have a copy of most of the stuff i want to keep on a normal HDD, but we all know HDD are not that trustworthy, that is why i back up to media as a fail safe, and that is what i was looking at my fail safe method, doing a simple bit of maths it seems DVD media and BluRay media work out about th same when it comes to storing data per GB so think i will just bite the bullet and buy new BluRay drive.

All1

Associate
Just a word of warning, CD's were supposed to last forever, but people are finding that 10+ year old CD-R's are degrading, and even proper commercial CD albums released in the early 80s are degrading. DVD is supposed to be a better archival media and Blu-Ray even better than that, but I still wouldn't trust them for critical things like family photos that you want to look at in forty years.. (As if you even could.. as optical media will be long gone and any drives you had to read that data will be long dead as will the SATA standard and it's just a cluster fudge really.)

Associate
OP
Just a word of warning, CD's were supposed to last forever, but people are finding that 10+ year old CD-R's are degrading, and even proper commercial CD albums released in the early 80s are degrading. DVD is supposed to be a better archival media and Blu-Ray even better than that, but I still wouldn't trust them for critical things like family photos that you want to look at in forty years.. (As if you even could.. as optical media will be long gone and any drives you had to read that data will be long dead as will the SATA standard and it's just a cluster fudge really.)
I know nothing is perfect but trying to find the best option open to me right now, given the price of half decent dvd media seems to be sill price i was toying with the idea of buying Blu-Ray burner and media, for me i tend to store movie's and TV series so i'm guessing the vast majority can be replaced over time just a massive ball ache to do it.

All1

Associate
Taiyo Yuden are meant to one of the best. For long term archive you'll want the M-DISC (Millennial Disc) which comes in DVD and Blu-ray format. I've used them for archiving digital photos. It's only been a few years so can't comment on the true longevity but at least it's not just a dye like normal discs.

Soldato
my original network q rac rally cd has degraded its gone yellow in colour and is no longer readable.

verbatim brand shows to be better quality. cdfreaks.com forums if you want to see error tests done on discs.

Permabanned
IMO +R was better, also faster initially till -R caught up (16x then 24x etc) but the writes were still faster, also DVD+RW reached 16x not sure if DVD-RW ever did, eventually all my DVD5 and DVD9's were +

Back
Top Bottom