DVLA Advice - Need to change address + Renew photo!

Transmission breaker
Don
I am looking on the direct gov website, and there are clear processes shown for both updating the address, and also for renewing the photo after 10 years. However, if I want to do both at the same time, has anyone else done this?

I know the DVLA are often thought of as OMG WTF CRAP, and worry about doing more than 2 things are once. Luckily I do not have any extra provisions on my license to lose.

My license expires in December and I really want to find out the best way to address this before then.

I know I can phone them, but as most of you will know, phoning the DVLA and actually finding the right person is often a trial in itself!

So, how would you do it:

1 - Change address, then renew license and photo in two separate transactions

2 - Wait till it expires, and see if they will do the photo and the address change at the same time?

3 - Pay to change the photo, then get the address changed

4 - Just accept that its going to be a ballache and phone them up and waste a lunch-hour+ listening to hold music and generally spend hours getting bumped from one script reader to the next..

Associate
I would say go for option 3 and pay the £20.

On the form it ask you if you want to change your address at the same time. Plus you wont have to change the picture for another 10 years.

Soldato
I need to do this next month as mine expires, I need to do exactly the same but also would like points etc removing, does anyone know if the points etc come off automatically if the are "spent" or does this have to be paid for?

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
I need to do this next month as mine expires, I need to do exactly the same but also would like points etc removing, does anyone know if the points etc come off automatically if the are "spent" or does this have to be paid for?

Good point, i will have a clean license when it comes back.. I assume that this will happen anyway when issued with a new license?

Caporegime
points over 4 years old are removed automatically when changing address / renewing photo.

You can do the whole lot in one go.

You need to fill in an application form, the same one you'd use to apply for a new one. Just tick the relevant boxes telling them what its for, and make sure when you fill it in, you tell them the address has changed too.

Simples. (at least it is when you have the form in front of you, go to your post office and get one )

Soldato
I had to have the photo done on my license about three months ago and when I was sorted it out I noticed that there was an error in the address on the license so I needed to get that fixed, (all the elements of the address were there correctly but jumbled up).

I just also filled in the address change section when I sent off the license, new picture and cheque. Received back an updated license with the address changed as well as the picture updated..

Soldato
points over 4 years old are removed automatically when changing address / renewing photo.

You can do the whole lot in one go.

You need to fill in an application form, the same one you'd use to apply for a new one. Just tick the relevant boxes telling them what its for, and make sure when you fill it in, you tell them the address has changed too.

Simples. (at least it is when you have the form in front of you, go to your post office and get one )

Cool i'm going to the post office at lunch anyway so i'll pick one up and have a look

Cheers

I would rather do it online in this day and age though

Caporegime
once you've got the form its a lot clearer, you tick the box for address change, fill it in etc.. and it comes with a booklet telling you what parts to fill in when renewing the photo.

Dont have to do anything about expired points, that happens automatically.

Soldato
I'm hoping they have an alternative payment method to be honest, hopefully the leaflet will explain, cant be that many people using cheques anymore, I havent seen one for years!

Soldato
Fairly sure when i applied for a new licence in Feb this year (lost my old paper one so had to send photo in also) i used the premium checking service at the post office for the forms and just used my debit card over the counter to pay the fee. As above also, needed a change of address so ticked the box on the application form. Points also removed from paper counterpart automatically.

Associate
Good old overclockers, there is a thread for everything. I was in the same position. I read this post and then realised that it gives you am option on the new photo app form to update your details.... derp

Still this proved useful, so thanks guys

Back
Top Bottom