Dyslexia testing?

Soldato
OP
OP have you ruled out Visual Stress? Sometimes there's a confusion between the two and many opticians will be able to do some form of visual stress testing. It's certainly worth comparing your symptoms and those that this form of visual dyslexia creates.

If there's any doubt, and you want the best assessment and solutions I'd highly recommend the chap who's basically written the book on dyslexia and visual difficulties - Professor Bruce Evans. His practice is in Essex which isn't ideal for you but if you ever travel it might be worth a look in.

An interesting point. I broke my eye socket which in combination with the head injury causes issues with tiredness, fatigue and double vision.
It wasn't until this year that I insisted, after passing all eye sight tests, that they look deeper that I now have glasses.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was diagnosed whilst in the forces. I had trouble remembering information in written form and was diagnosed with Short term memory retention issues and mild dyslexia. I was sent on a course at Headley Court which tbh was fantastic and really opened my eyes a bit more as I was not really believing I had an issue. The course helped lots and although I still have issues I have learnt ways to help and even overcome them.

Soldato
OP
After all this hassle I have been given the money and dyslexia assessment next week which I've had to arrange myself.

'Aquired dyslexia' is the term I might have. Still not convinced but would explain a lot...

Soldato
OP
I seem to be good at remembering numbers, not so good letters. Rubbish backwards...

After several hours of testing on multiple occasions, I have Acquired Dyslexia and I need to be reassessed by my neurosurgeon. That changes things.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

What will it achieve if you find out that you have dyslexia?

There is a lot of support available to dyslexic students. It can even be as simple as printing handouts on different coloured paper to ensure the material is accessible.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

For some people blue tinted glasses help, I'm sure you knew that.

Being dyslexic myself, yes, I did ;)

The advantage with different coloured paper is that all the students get treated the same, rather than the kid with blue tinted glasses standing out as having dyslexia.

Soldato
OP
At least now I know and what the university has been refusing to do is backed up with proof for me.

Because of the severity of the head injury she has recommended I have further tests with the neurosurgeon.

I have problems with cognitive function, working memory and a few other things.

She said it's amazing I qualified for university, let alone go there.

Fingers crossed something good can come of it.

Back
Top Bottom