E-Scooter discussion after fatal collision

Soldato
Hi all,

As per the title really, Emily Hartridge was killed when her electric scooter was hit by a lorry in Battersea on Friday morning - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-48973968

I'd watched her youtube content for a few years and she's definitely had her ups and down with becoming a TV presenter to battling depression but her "10 reasons why..." videos were always a favourite of mine so I've left my favourite video below.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah np, the BBC say "A woman riding an electric scooter has been killed in a crash with a lorry in south London" but you stated "she was killed when her electric scooter was hit by a lorry", it changes the context to make it sound like it wasn't her fault.

Fair enough, the thought wasn't intenioned that way, just my way of speaking i.e to me she was hit by a lorry as opposed to somehow she ended up dead and a lorry was nearby but we can't say theres a link.

Soldato
OP
the e-scooters are one of those new-ish technologies (similar to drones were) that legislation is lagging behind massively.

I'm not sure it's the legislation thats lagging as it's clear "in law" that they're classed as motorised vehicles, but more likely it's the public knowledge that lagging i.e. people buying them don't know how the law treats these e-scooters. Sadly it takes an event like this to raise public awareness on their use and may hopefully prevent more e-scooter deaths in future.

Soldato
OP
I feel more people will move towards PEVs in the future. They're only crap in bad weather if you don't have clothes suitable for being in bad weather

Most non-enclosed transport is used as "good weather only" transport for the vast majority. When it's dark at 7am on a wintery 3'c morning filled with rain and mist most people will swap back to toasty warm cars rather than get "suitable" clothes, it's been like that with motorbikes/cyclists for years so I don't see e-scooter riders being any different.

Look at China and their bicycle madness .
You want that commie filth in London?
You make me sick.
It's people like you lot that make Britain the 3rd world, washed out, post empire, cesspit that it is.
When we finally Brexit I hope you lot are deported for treason and unpatriotic activity.

:D

Soldato
OP
As I originally created the thread to discuss the Death of Emily Hartridge, before a subsequent change made it into a general e-scooter thread*, I thought it worthwhile updating it after the Coroners verdict on her death was released -

Coroner said:
'Ms Hartridge was riding an electric scooter on Queenstown Road when she lost control after passing over an inspector hatch inthe cycle lane and was thrown under the path of an HGV.'

'She died instantly of injuries sustained by the HGV driving over her.'

'The scooter was being unsuitably driven, too fast and with an underinflated tyre and this caused the loss of control and her death.'

At least it was instant :(

*I wasn't happy (and I'm still not) about this but the forum users had decided to ignore the reason for the OP and concentrate on e-scooters instead so I reluctantly agreed to the title change.

Back
Top Bottom