E-Sims for travel

I turned my UK sim off because of roaming charges.

No, you just turn the data off and set the esim to use data only. Make your own number the primary line as well and disable switching.

You still can receive texts and calls that won’t cost you anything - unless you answer the phone! It means you can continue to use whatsapp or apps/sites that require 2 factor via text.

I turned my UK sim off because of roaming charges.
No, you just turn the data off and set the esim to use data only. Make your own number the primary line as well and disable switching.

You still can receive texts and calls that won’t cost you anything - unless you answer the phone! It means you can continue to use whatsapp or apps/sites that require 2 factor via text.
That is how you supposed to use it. All you need to do is turn of data roaming. That's it, the sim stays on.

That is how you supposed to use it. All you need to do is turn of data roaming. That's it, the sim stays on.
Ah fair enough
I just turned my main SIM off and had no issues for the two weeks.
WhatsApp is my only communication method so I had no problem while in America

I used Saily for my trip to America and it worked perfectly
Couldn't receive texts or calls, but my WhatsApp was working perfectly and could use all the data I needed
Yeah, I think all of Saily's are data only, where as Airalo are sometimes data and sometimes voice+data depending on region.

I'm going to the USA later this month. Is this the best solution do you think for a data sim while I'm there?
I've tried quite a few and am pretty much fixed now on GlobalYo.
I just buy the e-sim in the airport when I land on the airport wifi, activate the sim there and turn off my UK sim.

I havent had an issue with it so I'll continue to use it, I just paid $3.49 for 5gb for 15 days and was on T-Mobile, you can just top up if you run out.

I've tried quite a few and am pretty much fixed now on GlobalYo.
I just buy the e-sim in the airport when I land on the airport wifi, activate the sim there and turn off my UK sim.

I havent had an issue with it so I'll continue to use it, I just paid $3.49 for 5gb for 15 days and was on T-Mobile, you can just top up if you run out.
I'll have to give this one a try when my current one runs out. I'm using Breeze esim and it just works. Sounds like a lot of these companies have the process down with the differences just being networks and price.

New to esims, will just go with the Global Yo one, can I buy and set it up today so I can just forget about it when I get there?
Yes, you can install/add it but don't activate the eSIM yet, their plans usually start once it's activated. When you arrive at the destination country then it's fine to activate. Make sure to swap data and all that from your main SIM to the eSIM too to avoid roaming charges.

Last edited:
I'll have to give this one a try when my current one runs out. I'm using Breeze esim and it just works. Sounds like a lot of these companies have the process down with the differences just being networks and price.

Not tried Breeze to be fair but it sounds like its similar service, just different network.
For the folks looking at buying one, make sure to check the network coverage of the area you visiting and buy accordingly, for me T-Mobile is the best where I work / stay but some other networks would be total gash.

Equally when I visitied a supplier about an hour outside of Atlanta last month I couldn't get any reception on T-Mobile at all.

Not tried Breeze to be fair but it sounds like its similar service, just different network.
For the folks looking at buying one, make sure to check the network coverage of the area you visiting and buy accordingly, for me T-Mobile is the best where I work / stay but some other networks would be total gash.

Equally when I visitied a supplier about an hour outside of Atlanta last month I couldn't get any reception on T-Mobile at all.
Yeah it's like they're resellers of the same services. Breeze is using T-Mobile too.

So decided to try ByteSim in the end, and it's working straight away in Hong Kong as soon as I activated it after I landed. The app is definitely not as polished as Airalo, but still does the job of telling me how much data I have left.

Which also made me realise that Pixels are still limited in which countries they allow 5G to work. Stuck on 4G/LTE but more than enough for my needs.

I have just signed up to Honest mobiles smart sim. It supposedly gives data access to a number of apps including whatsapp and maps when your data is not connected in 180 countries. I will see how reliable that is, and if it works as a booster as they describe. In the next few months I will be in Portugal, Serbia, New Zealand, Chile, Argentina and Brazil so I'll definitely be able to put it through its paces.

Back
Top Bottom