E3 2018

Man of Honour
I feel so disillusioned with gaming, nothing interests me.

I feel that a lot lately - so many games that either sound great but haven't nailed down the basic mechanics so I can't be bothered with them or are just so bland/mass produced feeling, etc.

Soldato
As much as I would have prefered fixed camera and pre-rendered backgrounds with tank controls like the original, it was never going to happen. I am just happy they are making it at all to be honest. Still super hyped even though I have seen a few things I did not like.

I felt what you are feeling more towards CyberPunk 2077 after watching the trailer. It went from Blade Runner looking from the original trailer to looking like GTA.
I'll probably end up picking it up in a sale at some point to be honest anyway but won't be day one like if it were the old style. I know what you mean about Cyberpunk as well, not sure where the hype is coming from with that to be honest, looks very generic going by the trailer.

Soldato
I'll probably end up picking it up in a sale at some point to be honest anyway but won't be day one like if it were the old style. I know what you mean about Cyberpunk as well, not sure where the hype is coming from with that to be honest, looks very generic going by the trailer.

I think the hype for Cyberpunk is mostly coming from the fact that CDPR have proven themselves to really put in the effort to produce something that feels high quality and without all of the garbage that most "AAA" releases seem to be bogged down by lately... I'd be interested in their next game regardless of what setting it was or what the trailers were like tbh

Soldato
I'm really interested in Cyberpunk, mainly because I've heard so many good things about The Witcher 3, but I have zero interest in the fantasy setting.

Soldato
I'm really interested in Cyberpunk, mainly because I've heard so many good things about The Witcher 3, but I have zero interest in the fantasy setting.

I'm in exactly your boat... love sci-fi, don't really care for fantasy... I played Skyrim/Oblivion a little bit and although they were kind of fun I much preferred Fallout..

I semi-reluctantly tried Witcher 3 based on many recommendations (from friends as well as the general praise of it online etc) and really enjoyed it... it really puts Bethesda's awful tech and lazy attitude into perspective for me - previously I sort of felt like "well to be fair to Bethesda making a game that huge it's perfectly understandable that it would have lots of bugs and performance issues" but now it seems more than ever like it's just straight up incompetence on their part

Associate
Some leaks already from "behind closed doors" CP2077 demo at E3:

CD Projekt RED has shown Cyberpunk 2077 behind closed doors at E3. However, gameplay details from this build have surfaced online. According to the reports, Cyberpunk 2077 will be a first-person RPG with the camera moving to third-person during cutscenes.

In the game, players assume the role of V who can be a man or a woman. The E3 demo featured a big level that have a Blade Runner feeling and players will be able to drive cars. The stats players will pick at the start include Strength, Constitution, Intelligence, Reflexes, Tech, and Cool, and these stats are all pulled from the original tabletop RPG. Below you can find all the gameplay details from Cyberpunk 2077’s E3 2018 demo.

CD Projekt describes the game as a “first-person RPG.”
  • Gameplay is in first a first-person perspective, but switched to third-person during a cutscene.
  • You play a character named V (as in the letter).
  • V can be a man or a woman.
  • The stats you pick at the start include Strength, Constitution, Intelligence, Reflexes, Tech, and Cool.
  • These stats are all pulled from the original tabletop RPG.
  • You can drive cars in the game, and seemingly toggle between first and third person during this.
  • While driving in first-person, the U.I. appears diegetically on the windshield.
  • CD Projekt also described Cyberpunk as a “mature experience intended for mature audiences.”
  • Like Witcher, you take missions from NPCs and have dialogue options in conversations.
  • It’s an open world that you open up more with “street cred.” For example, a specific jacket might raise it by 5%, allowing you access to new places.
  • Completing a quest levels up your street cred.
  • The UI in the demo is extremely minimal at — just a light compass and a small quest log.
  • UI expands during combat — enemies have names, health bars, and what appear to be levels.
  • Some enemies have question marks instead of levels, possibly meaning they’re much higher level than you.
  • Damage numbers pop up during combat.
  • There’s a bullet-time-like ability that allows you to slow down time.
  • CD Projekt keeps emphasizing that choices have consequences, in the moment and to the world at large.
  • Obstacles have several solutions depending on your skills. For example, V got to a door, but his hacking skill was too low. However, his engineering skill was high enough, so he could open a panel and bypass the door.
  • There’s an inspection system lets you look super close at items and learn more about lore.
  • You use an inhaler to heal.
  • Gunplay feels slower than Doom or Borderlands, but faster than Fallout 4.
  • CD Projekt showed off some late-game abilities, including mantis-like blade arms and wall running.
  • A boss fight against a dude in an exoskeleton was shown. This included sliding under cars and taking cover.

Soldato
A game I only just noticed announced was The Forgotten City. A game based off a mod for Skyrim, which I have played and is really excellent, and you can play for free right now from Nexus. One of the best stories I've played in a game. I highly recommend the mod and checking out the game when it comes out. The mod won loads of awards for it's writing. It will be interesting to see how the game changes, as the mod was focused on the Dwemer race from skyrim and featured the typical skyrim races and enemies. It will all have to be tweaked.

A standalone release will be great! I'll definitely pick it up.

Caporegime
I'm in exactly your boat... love sci-fi, don't really care for fantasy... I played Skyrim/Oblivion a little bit and although they were kind of fun I much preferred Fallout..

I semi-reluctantly tried Witcher 3 based on many recommendations (from friends as well as the general praise of it online etc) and really enjoyed it... it really puts Bethesda's awful tech and lazy attitude into perspective for me - previously I sort of felt like "well to be fair to Bethesda making a game that huge it's perfectly understandable that it would have lots of bugs and performance issues" but now it seems more than ever like it's just straight up incompetence on their part

Partly, but remember making an engine (which presumably they have done for Starfield/ES6) takes time that you can't really devote enough manpower to if you need to work constantly on new games or risk financial/management stress.

So i can forgive them a tad, but that doesn't allow for the seemingly consistent push away from RPG's.

Soldato
OP
Most hyped for these 2 games now!

Been ages since I've played a fun/good zombie game

Completely forgot there was a WWZ game on the horizon! Bit disappointed with some of the physics - grenades only affecting zekes and not the environments, e.g. Having said that, they seem to have done a good job portraying the size and ferocity of the hordes.

Soldato
Partly, but remember making an engine (which presumably they have done for Starfield/ES6) takes time that you can't really devote enough manpower to if you need to work constantly on new games or risk financial/management stress.

So i can forgive them a tad, but that doesn't allow for the seemingly consistent push away from RPG's.

I still don't feel like that's a great defense to be honest... if they really can't dedicate the time or resources to develop a new engine why not just license one of the already established decent engines (maybe one from one of the other big studios that they publish the games of)? The benefit of the doubt is that they can't develop a new engine or license one, the cynical view is that they can but choose not to because people are still buying and pre-ordering their latest abortion and making excuses for them left right and centre... I don't think many people are playing Elder Scrolls or Fallout games because they love the engine - they like the lore and the way Bethesda craft the world; imagine how amazing that could be with a modern engine behind it...

Man of Honour
why not just license one of the already established decent engines (maybe one from one of the other big studios that they publish the games of)?

Truth is even a lot of modern engines would struggle with a game like Skyrim or can do one aspect of the game well like big terrain rendering while being poor at another aspect like say interior locations, etc. or vice versa.

Soldato
Truth is even a lot of modern engines would struggle with a game like Skyrim or can do one aspect of the game well like big terrain rendering while being poor at another aspect like say interior locations, etc. or vice versa.

I don't think that's true... and even if it was - it's still better to at least do some things well than be poor at everything like Gamebryo/Creation engine is...

Witcher 3 seemed to handle a pretty huge world not too dissimilar to Skyrim's

Back
Top Bottom