E38 730i

Permabanned
OP
It was always going to be a gamble.

Was there much rust on the car?

Actually, to it's credit it was rust free as far as I could see. I didn't give it a proper going over though under the engine bay, backs of wheel arches etc. I'd think there was bound to be some somewhere, it's just a case of finding it.

Not sure why you have to do it up, if mechanically good, just carry on running it into the ground?

Because it is in such a poor state that it really does need it, frankly. I'm driving an immaculate car at the moment that does everything I need it to, so it seems illogical to get rid of it to drive around a very old BMW. Perhaps if I was desperate for a car at low cost or had the space to store two cars I'd not have walked away so quickly.

Man of Honour
So I'm going to look at a an E46 330ci convertible and an E39 M5 tomorrow to see if I could be tempted into buying one of those instead. :p

That is a fairly random selection of cars especially to use as a daily driver. I'd say that if you'd be happy with a 330Ci you don't want an M5. Running something like an old M5 as a daily driver requires big commitment and a level of passion for the car that you obviously don't have if you'd consider a 330Ci as an alternative.

By contrast a 330Ci is a credibly hassle-free (ok within reason, nto compared to your Civic but definately compared to an E39 M5) alternative for what you want in so many ways. It would strike me as far more suitable for what you want.

Infact a 530i would probably be my choice, but then I'm sure you already know that.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;24290197 said:
That is a fairly random selection of cars especially to use as a daily driver. I'd say that if you'd be happy with a 330Ci you don't want an M5. Running something like an old M5 as a daily driver requires big commitment and a level of passion for the car that you obviously don't have if you'd consider a 330Ci as an alternative.

Based purely on cost, then this is a valid argument. Though there are different amounts individuals are willing to spend on different vehicles.

I've been in the market for completely different types of motors at the same time due to not knowing exactly what I want, knowing full well "A" car would cost 'x' and "B" car would cost 'y'.

OP might well be happy with a 330Ci, but indeed happier with an E39 M5.

Man of Honour
You miss my point.

An E39 M5 is an expensive car to own at any point - more so now they are getting increasingly older, more fussy and harder to find in excellent condition. Even for a low mileage user, it's a big commitment in terms of both time and money. It's a horrendous money sink. However, for some people - it's a money sink that's worth it to own one. I totally get that. I've been tempted enough myself on numerous occasions. But if that's not you then it's just an irritating millstone around your neck. It's not a car you go and view because you need to buy 'some BMW' and one pops up in an Autotrader search. If you buy one in those circumstances I give it a few months before it's back up for sale.

He considered a 730i and now a 330Ci. These are quite different to the M5 both in terms of exposure to cost and suitability for continuing to do things like put perhaps 4k business miles in a single month on it. He's also coming from a Honda Civic diesel, it couldn't be more different. Researching into costs will show you two camps, there are those who think you can reduce some of them by cutting corners etc etc but if you don't wish to keep it the awesome supersedan it once was then why bother.

I get the impression he fancies a nice, big, *and comfortable BMW for wafting about and soaking the miles up in with a bit of added performance, too. That's what a 730i, had it not been a shed, will do. That's what a 330Ci can do, as well. The 330ci especially is capable of doing this without having a ridiculous fuel range and chewing a set of rear tyres in 6000 miles. It's easier to live with, it's easier to own and it's less likely to be a constant source of money-sapping annoyance.

With the age they are now an E39 M5 is an enthusiasts car only. If it's the right car for you, you know it's the right car for you and nothing else compares. You wouldn't even have gone to look at a 730i or think about a 330ci.

Personally, from reading this thread, I think a 330i or 530i of some description is probably the ideal answer to this thread. They are a fantastic blend of everything really - ok sure neither is going to be super cheap to run nor are they going to be as hassle free as a nearly new Civic but then that isn't what you are expecting anyway. The 330Ci is involving to drive, has a range of bodystyles inc coupe and cab, the 530i is beautifully built, soaks up the miles effortlessly and still enjoys a decent A road. The 330CI is 'Sport with added waft', the 530i is 'waft with added Sport' if you see what I mean. They'll even do mid 30's on a run mpg wise, which is useful if nothing else for the fuel tank range alone!

Assuming 12k or so a year, the above would be my opinion of the best way to go about this.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I would love an E38, great cars, the best 7 series by far.

:confused:

I have not owned an E38, but i know them, and have owned multiple E46/E39/E38 era BMW's, and an E65 BMW, and have experience with the F01.

Unless you want to drive around in a car which practically feels vintage by modern standards then the E65 is way better than the E38, its not even on the same page. It feels about 20 years newer with almost every aspect of it being better than the previous gen. The F01 is even better again.

There seems to be loads of love for the E38 on here, i am not quite sure why :p

Permabanned
OP
[TW]Fox;24290561 said:
You miss my point.

An E39 M5 is an expensive car to own at any point - more so now they are getting increasingly older, more fussy and harder to find in excellent condition. Even for a low mileage user, it's a big commitment in terms of both time and money. It's a horrendous money sink. However, for some people - it's a money sink that's worth it to own one. I totally get that. I've been tempted enough myself on numerous occasions. But if that's not you then it's just an irritating millstone around your neck. It's not a car you go and view because you need to buy 'some BMW' and one pops up in an Autotrader search. If you buy one in those circumstances I give it a few months before it's back up for sale.

He considered a 730i and now a 330Ci. These are quite different to the M5 both in terms of exposure to cost and suitability for continuing to do things like put perhaps 4k business miles in a single month on it. He's also coming from a Honda Civic diesel, it couldn't be more different. Researching into costs will show you two camps, there are those who think you can reduce some of them by cutting corners etc etc but if you don't wish to keep it the awesome supersedan it once was then why bother.

I get the impression he fancies a nice, big, *and comfortable BMW for wafting about and soaking the miles up in with a bit of added performance, too. That's what a 730i, had it not been a shed, will do. That's what a 330Ci can do, as well. The 330ci especially is capable of doing this without having a ridiculous fuel range and chewing a set of rear tyres in 6000 miles. It's easier to live with, it's easier to own and it's less likely to be a constant source of money-sapping annoyance.

With the age they are now an E39 M5 is an enthusiasts car only. If it's the right car for you, you know it's the right car for you and nothing else compares. You wouldn't even have gone to look at a 730i or think about a 330ci.

Personally, from reading this thread, I think a 330i or 530i of some description is probably the ideal answer to this thread. They are a fantastic blend of everything really - ok sure neither is going to be super cheap to run nor are they going to be as hassle free as a nearly new Civic but then that isn't what you are expecting anyway. The 330Ci is involving to drive, has a range of bodystyles inc coupe and cab, the 530i is beautifully built, soaks up the miles effortlessly and still enjoys a decent A road. The 330CI is 'Sport with added waft', the 530i is 'waft with added Sport' if you see what I mean. They'll even do mid 30's on a run mpg wise, which is useful if nothing else for the fuel tank range alone!

Assuming 12k or so a year, the above would be my opinion of the best way to go about this.

A worthwhile read :)

The M5 is a total whim that I'm just interested to see. Honestly, I'd prefer a 540i Sport, but there aren't many about within a reasonable distance for me.

I'm curious to know what you think of the E60s? They're starting to grow on me looks-wise, and I can't help but wonder if I'd be getting a technically better car for going newer albeit at a higher price point.

The 330ci really does appeal, as does an E39 - the only think about these cars is they aren't exactly spring chickens. I believe that E39s are likely to require a new gearbox around the 100k mark (of which many are) at least if you go down the manual route.

The M5 is this one. possibly not the greatest example and the manual box puts me off, but it would be very interesting to see and drive.

Soldato
I completely understand your points Fox and I didn't miss them. Indeed, in this instance, I would agree that the OP is unsure what he wants to buy and there are better alternatives if he just wants to get inside of a BMW. But OP clearly knows the cost that these things can throw at him (even when faced with a known, practically free 7 series).

I was saying that based on cost, yours is a valid argument. On the flip side of that coin, at any given point, I am looking around at all different types of cars despite knowing that they will be in different camps cost wise. And that's okay. As long as I, as a buyer, am completely aware of the overall cost/potential cost.

Man of Honour
I strongly dislike the E60. I will bore you with why later on. Early E60 have engines carried through from E39 anyway.

If a manual box puts you off an m5 then it makes my point even more. The M5 is only available as a manual. It's part of what makes it so good.

Last edited:
Caporegime
:confused:

I have not owned an E38, but i know them, and have owned multiple E46/E39/E38 era BMW's, and an E65 BMW, and have experience with the F01.

Unless you want to drive around in a car which practically feels vintage by modern standards then the E65 is way better than the E38, its not even on the same page. It feels about 20 years newer with almost every aspect of it being better than the previous gen. The F01 is even better again.

There seems to be loads of love for the E38 on here, i am not quite sure why :p

For me, its the design / style / look of the e38 compared with the later models.
I wouldn't for a moment say the e38 is technically better, clearly its not.

Its not just me though, back in 05 when I owned mine, I lived with my parents. Next door is a bloke with a then brand new 745Li which he'd bought when he returned through retirement to the UK from his job in Hong Kong where the lucky sod owned an Alpina B12 5.4! (e38 for the unknowing) whilst it was chalk & cheese compared to my 728i, he often said how much he preferred the e38 and even borrowed mine for a couple of days and let me try his out!!

The 745i was,to me, a thing of wonder by comparison behind the wheel, unbelievable performance compared to my 728i. He said - and indeed still does think the e38 was the far nicer car to look at from both inside and out and felt the 745 was no match to his previous Alpina (it hardly would be I guess?) He still has the 745 along with a 51 plate e38 750i Sport Individual that he bought "as a toy" about 2 months later.

Seeing it every other week when I visit my parents does little to stop my yearning for one, sat side by side to the e65 its to both of us, a class act visually at least.

He has the e38, the e65 and an f10 530d , clearly an ardent BMW fan!

Buy it for £200, sell it on ebay for twice the price, move on.

I must admit I wonder why the OP does not do this ,even grotty, its worth at least that I'd have thought....

As a proper purchase idea I do see his logic in turning it down. Although if it were I, with funds in the bank, I'd already have it I do conceed! :o

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
I must admit I wonder why the OP does not do this ,even grotty, its worth at least that I'd have thought....

As a proper purchase idea I do see his logic in turning it down. Although if it were I, with funds in the bank, I'd already have it I do conceed! :o

Because my buying it is based on me keeping it. My grandfather will happily run it into the ground and I don't need the hassle of eBaying an ancient Beemer for the sake of a few hundred sheets. :)

Turned down the idea of looking at the E39 M5 now and am looking at a fairly tidy 06 plate E46 330Ci Sport. It's no V8 but still has more poke than my jap derv.

Soldato
Because my buying it is based on me keeping it. My grandfather will happily run it into the ground and I don't need the hassle of eBaying an ancient Beemer for the sake of a few hundred sheets. :)

Turned down the idea of looking at the E39 M5 now and am looking at a fairly tidy 06 plate E46 330Ci Sport. It's no V8 but still has more poke than my jap derv.
I've had an E46 330i Sport and an E39 530i Sport. Get the E39.

Man of Honour
Interesting - any particular reasons?

Because it's a better car (unless you particularly want the handling of the 3). It's better built, its more refined, etc.

Just found a Champagne II in Sevenoaks... Worth a look?

That is about as perfect a 530i as you are ever likely to find for sale these days. BMW Warranty for most of its life is a very good sign, too.

Soldato
Interesting - any particular reasons?

Just found a Champagne II in Sevenoaks... Worth a look?
I think I'd struggle to hand over £5k, even for a Champagne II...

The E46 and E39 feel very much cut from the same cloth, buy the E39 from the nicer end of the cloth. The E39 does everything better than the E46, except handle as well and accelerate as quickly. It's a little heavier and has a slightly softer drive, and as a result is slightly slower and will float around more than an E46. However, the difference is really quite negligible unless you are doing some hard B-road driving, making the E39's superiority in literally every other area more important (at least to me!)

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;24292353 said:
Because it's a better car (unless you particularly want the handling of the 3). It's better built, its more refined, etc.
As somebody whos recently changed from an old and extremely high mileage e39 to an equally old but much lower mileage e46, the e39 is hewn from granite by comparison, yes.

The E46 and E39 feel very much cut from the same cloth

Shame the e46's cloth came from a market stall by comparison imo!! :p

[TW]Fox;24292353 said:
That is about as perfect a 530i as you are ever likely to find for sale these days. BMW Warranty for most of its life is a very good sign, too.
Ain't that the truth! Wow! :cool:

Man of Honour

It's an 80k mile Champagne II. M5 aside, it doesn't get any better than that, IMHO (540i included). Sure, it's £5k. Perhaps you could find a cheaper, higher mileage example with more owners for 1500 quid less. Perhaps you couldn't. But at the end of the day it's not a lot of money, is it?

Permabanned
OP

The E46 and E39 feel very much cut from the same cloth, buy the E39 from the nicer end of the cloth. The E39 does everything better than the E46, except handle as well and accelerate as quickly. It's a little heavier and has a slightly softer drive, and as a result is slightly slower and will float around more than an E46. However, the difference is really quite negligible unless you are doing some hard B-road driving, making the E39's superiority in literally every other area more important (at least to me!)

And you're in an E60 these days - 535d iirc? What do you make of that gen?

Will be interesting to compare the 330 and 530, I'd agree £5k is a bit on the steep side for a 10 year-old car but obviously there's some haggling to be done after looking for potential problems.

Soldato
Loving the Champagne II <3

With the requirement for cost cutting etc, will we ever see a BMW as perfect at the E39?

Back
Top Bottom