• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

E6300 + system advice?

Associate
Hi all, Got my 6300 Core2Duo and first impressions are wow, even compared to the 2.8ghz X2 i had!

From a super pi 1m of 29.087 on the 4400+ X2 @ 2.8ghz to 21.988 on the 1.9ghz c2d, and its still overclocking - stable at 2.4ghz and showing no sign of topping out as yet! Though my MSI 975X PowerUP has a bad habit of turning itself off once i save the bios settings and then not turning on until i switch it on and off round the back of the psu! Also my CellShock C5 stuff seems to be great as well, so i can recommend it for value.

Slight problem though, in windows xp prof sp2 it randomly loads to 100% on core 0 and doesnt stop for a good while and windows task man says nothing is using any core with the exception of System Idle Processes. You might wonder why I'm not using X64 which i bought, and thats because some unkown reason it doesnt run any of my WLAN cards, wether i get the rt2500 drivers or the one included in the driver.cab

Rig:
Intel C2D E6300 @ 2.4GHz (and climbing)
Cellshock 1000MHz @ 1.9v, 5-5-5-15
MSI 975x PowerUP
Watercooled w/80mm Rad
Coolermaster Wavemaster
1x 74GB Raptor, 1x 320GB Caviar, 2x 160GB Caviar
700W Jeantech Storm
XFX 8800GTX 768mb

Any comments,advice,cliqués,criticism would be appreciated!

Soldato
For a start, that RAM is not going to limit you at all... Stuff working your way up, just throw it up to 400FSb and start from there.

Due to the strap, you iwll find that 401 to about 430 will drop off the performance a fair bit, so clocking between abotu 2,8 and 3 Will be a waste of time and oyu might as well stick to 2.8 ( 400FSB ) or take it well past 430 to see any actual benefit.

At 1.9Ghz you are getting a 21Second SuperPI ?

2.9 perhaps but not 1.9 surely?

Associate
OP
I'm in work atm, so when I go home, I'll post screenies -its using the 1.5xsmod?

Yeah, at 2.97ghz on the Athlon 64 i got 29.081 and on the 1.86ghz C2D i got anywhere between 24 and 20 seconds, depending on wether i had other programs running. I got 24s running on both cores, with azureus, winamp playing, mplayerc paused and msn.

Although i got 980 cpu in 3dm06 first time and i ran it again and got 1800~

Apparently MSI boards are awesome compared to others - I heard some people have troubles even getting them to run, but my highest clocks came from a s478 MSI board, a S939 MSI board and seeing as i've only had one lga775, i will assume that there is no other competition for it. Then again, i havent tried every possible processor mobo chipset and mfg.

I seen a review on a site saying it was best for lga775 as far as non sli goes?

Soldato
I got the Gigabyte DS3 for both my P4 Prescott 660 ( 3.6 @ 4.3 ) using Corsair 6400 ( Although the cheap and nasty kingston also are fine for this too, and my 6300 ( currently at 2.8 but been to 450FSB / 3.1Ghz however, it was slower )

Normally, I would not waste my time with gigabyte boards, going by the few I have had in the past, but people seem to be raving on about the DS3... Which by the way also verifies my hatred to Gigabytes, as mine I have not been able to play HL2:EO, NFSU2, and a few others, plus its very poor for true hardworking multitasking, slowing to a crawl when even my single core AMDs just do the job.

As for MSI...

I agree to a point.

I got a K7N2 thats taken an XP17 to 3Ghz, and I still have both my Neo2 Platinums ( Winchester 3200 @ 2.5 in one and an Opteron 144 in the other ) and the Neo4F which is housing my x2 - Currently also at 2.5 )

Although I have had a newer MSI Delta ( Black as opposed to the older ones RED Coloured board ) and I wasnt as impressed with eth newer one.

Reason behind my CPUs being at 2.5 is simply that the Multipliers are at 10 ( Opteron is 9 ) and with the HTT I set that to 4x and so 4x250FSB is spot on 1000 and its just simply that I cannot be bothered to take it to 3x and no other reason, however, during experiments the winchester has hit 300FSB, the Opteron is currently running 275FSB and the x2 has hit 2.7, but as I said, 2.5 is a nice round figure.

So, yes, I love MSI

I got a few other boards, Abit ( NF7S ) is a great one, and the DFI ( LP250UT ) is the one and only S754 I have and while its a clocking monster, its also the most unreliable pile of poo I have used in the AMD line.

So, once again, yes, I love MSI - Massively underrated I think.

Back
Top Bottom