• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

E6300 vs. E6400

Associate
sorry for another c2d thread but i am currently pricing up a system that I hope to order within the week.

My question is basically, is it worth the extra £35 to get the e6400?

I plan to be overclocking on air, but not too much as i'm a bit of a noob.
It seems most people get an E6300 or E6600 and don't bother with anything in between. Also the E6400 is only available at present as retail which seems a waste. Considering I'm currently running an old P4 2.66Ghz either chip will seem like a big jump and I'm short on cash so leaning towards an E6300.

Permabanned
KaBar said:
Considering I'm currently running an old P4 2.66Ghz either chip will seem like a big jump and I'm short on cash so leaning towards an E6300.

Welcome to the forums.

Yes, I went from a 2.66 P4 to my sig... it is very rapid in comparison. :)

I'd go for the 6300 just tbh, I only got the 6400 because it was cheap.

Soldato
Theres not a lot between them price wise, but if your a grizzled overclocker its a bit more 'challenging' to overclock an e6300. The e6400 is almost priced halfway between the e6300 and e6600 so its in no mans land kinda.

I went for an e6300 myself, but its not like its a tattoo or anything, if its doesn't perform how I would like it too then i would probably wait for the next batch of CD2's to be released and try my luck with those, sell on my current chip.

Associate
OP
thanks for the replies, think i will just go for the E6300 oem

Thought the retail warranty got voided by the overclocking, or is it just me who thinks intel have a magic way of telling? and by the time I ever get round to/get cash to upgrade I need a complete new system anyways so the added resale value of a retail doesn't bother me that much.

Just need to decide what mobo and memory choices my cash will allow now, but they are threads for the morning ;)

Soldato
is it worth getting the £6300 within the next 2weeks or wait until january 21st when they announce the new chips and possible price drops on the current ones?
How much does the 4mb to 2mb cache affect the cpu efficiency if it was being used for 3D rendering work ?

sorry to butt in :p

Associate
tsinc80697 said:
is it worth getting the £6300 within the next 2weeks or wait until january 21st when they announce the new chips and possible price drops on the current ones?
How much does the 4mb to 2mb cache affect the cpu efficiency if it was being used for 3D rendering work ?

sorry to butt in :p

They'll be forever announcing new chips. My 6300 cost me £94.99 (and I've got it at 3.0 Ghz on air), so it's not a big expenditure and even if you have to buy new RAM and MB, thats a good investment for whatever comes next.

E

Soldato
E6400 all the way running @ 3.5ghz on air :D

E64003.jpg

Associate
clone said:
L628b037.

Wish i still had it :(

The novelty of quad-core waring off?

Nice clocks though....I can't get mine stable over 3GHZ without giving it a large bump in voltage, then it's stable @ 3.4+ but heat is a big problem unless I take the side of my case off....seriously needs lapping to.

Soldato
Jihad said:
Buying a E6400 in my opinion is retarded, unless it's cheaper than the 6300 or something like 10 pounds extra.

The higher multiplier is useful though if you are a novice overclocker, which the OP says he is. I would still go for the 6300 personally though.

Associate
clone said:
Dont know why i got the quad,one of them silly moments :p gona put it on the MM when it`s back.

We all have those silly moments, mate! ;) I was considering a quad core when they came out and would have loved one a couple of years ago when I was heavily into rendering and would have made use of it but common sense prevailed (for once) and I realized it would be a waste. I'll no doubt go quad in future but not until they actually are of benefit....by which time they will no doubt be cheaper/better to.

Associate
El Jimben said:
The higher multiplier is useful though if you are a novice overclocker, which the OP says he is. I would still go for the 6300 personally though.

I got a 6400 for the higher multi as I was limited by my RAM, but since my RAM died on me the day I put it in my new board and I replaced it with some Crucial 10th if I had the choice again I would go for a 6300.

Back
Top Bottom