1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EA boots Linux gamers

Discussion in 'Linux & Open Source' started by Ice Tea, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Ice Tea

Mobster

2. robj20

Sgarrista

Can't really complain can you, it's not sold as working with Linux, in fact it specifically says Windows as a requirement.

3. Sp00n

Capodecina

Actively going out of their way to ban people instead of just "not supporting" seems to me to be particularly malicious, unless there is some circumventing of DRM or anything else naughty involved.

4. Tute

Capodecina

People should be boycotting EA regardless of this. They are about as cancerous to the video gaming industry as it's possible to be - anti consumer, pushing gambling on children and buying up popular franchises only to wreck them and close them down.

5. Hades

Capodecina

My opinion on this has flip flopped a bit. At first I was annoyed at thier position until I thought about it further. It's detecting a non standard library and so is assuming a cheat. In that circumstance a ban is reasonable.

But then I flipped again and I am not sure why a check couldn't be put in place and the gane just not start under Linux, rather than banning the user.

6. TangoEchoAlpha

Hitman

It's not just EA. Apparently Bungie will do the same if you try to play Destiny 2 under Proton :rolleyes:

7. pete910

Mobster

Said it before on other linux forums I'll say it here too

"STOP BUYING GAMES WITHOUT LINUX SUPPORT"