Earn More Than Colleague But Paid Less

Associate
Hey guys. Wondering if anyone here can help me understand something.

Myself and my colleague do the same job together. However I am paid more per hour than she is because of my experience (Around £1.50 per hour. Works out to between £75 - £90 per week before tax)

However I find myself being paid the same or about £10 less than her every week, due to me paying around £75 - £100 more tax than her (Based on us working exactly the same hours and days in a given week)

I asked to see her tax code and it is 1677L, while mine is 1257L. She told me that it changed in May. Before that it was the same as mine. As I understand, my colleague has a higher tax-free threshold (of around £4200 per year) then myself? My colleague has told me that her husband (who earns around £70,000 per year) also has this tax code.

She has no idea why her code changed and when I look online for such a tax code, I can find nothing specific about it. We're (myself and my colleague) not self employed. We're PAYE. We're paid weekly by our agency. I'm not sure what the deal is with her husband.

My assumption is that this is happening because HMRC believe I will earn 'X' amount more than her and will hit the 40% tax threshold (I calculate my income for the tax year as being £62000. I calculate my colleagues income for the tax year as being £51000). Thus I pay proportionally more tax than my colleague to account for this? Combined with her extra tax-free allowance, I end up no better off than her, despite being set to earn a whole £11000 more than her over the year.

Does that sound right?

FYI - My current income for the year to date is approximately £36002.31. I have paid approximately £6,905.80 in tax.

My colleagues income for the year to date is around £30000 (+/- £200). She has paid £4200 (+/- £100) in tax (don't have exact figures on me because I don't have her timesheet but these figures are very close)

Last edited:
Soldato
A tax code over 1257l means she is receiving a refund from the previous year.
Nothing on Google Shows her tax code.. So it may be due to an overpayment on a previous year or something

Yea, that seems the obvious answer, though seems strange to me why they wouldn't just issue a straight refund.

Can't remember if I've seen it done this way before, certainly not that size increase in code, but tbf I've not processed a lot of employees over the years with BiKs, where more corrections seem to occur.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Yeah, sounds like she paid too much tax last year and HMRC have adjusted her tax code for this year in order to give her a refund. It’s weird that she doesn’t know why as everyone should receive a letter from HMRC each year explaining their tax code.

I’m always in the opposite boat. My personal allowance is currently negative. :o

Man of Honour
Their letters are usually wrong anyway, they send me one saying YOU HAVE PAID TOO LITTLE TAX in bold letters and then I have to phone them up and tell them I've paid too much tax.

To the OP, this is quite normal, gross salary and net salary vary a lot from person to person based on numerous factors like pensions, student loans, prior tax corrections etc etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom