Earphones for Running

Associate
dont run with earphones

going to get flamed here but running with earphones is only for treadmill peeps.

If you run 2 a beat your body doesn't run naturally thus you never know how to relax into your own stride.

learn to run without first and know your own relaxed running style before using headphones if you must.

i say this as TOO many runners in my club run with them and none of them are getting better only getting injured due to running with ear phones.

Soldato
OP
They stay in my ears and are loud enough. As far as I'm concerned if you're worried about sound quality then you aren't working hard enough. ;)

Previously mentioned that I'd be replacing my old earphones that I use day to day so I don't have to carry around running ones and day to day earphones :)

Associate
dont run with earphones

going to get flamed here but running with earphones is only for treadmill peeps.

If you run 2 a beat your body doesn't run naturally thus you never know how to relax into your own stride.

learn to run without first and know your own relaxed running style before using headphones if you must.

i say this as TOO many runners in my club run with them and none of them are getting better only getting injured due to running with ear phones.

Most people run with earphones without issue myself and all of my friends included. We've all improved massively so I'm calling bs on this.

Soldato
I don't get the need to spend a load on "running headphones" one big waste of money.

For £10 there are more than enough headphones that a waterproof and come with clips etc.

Soldato
OP
I don't get the need to spend a load on "running headphones" one big waste of money.

For £10 there are more than enough headphones that a waterproof and come with clips etc.

Said earphones will be used for day to day use and also for running, I could carry around two pairs, cheap ones for running and then a good pair for use at work or travelling to work, but that would involve having to then carry around two lots of earphones.

Soldato
Previously mentioned that I'd be replacing my old earphones that I use day to day so I don't have to carry around running ones and day to day earphones :)

If you're going to spend money on a decent pair of earphones then the last thing I would do would be sweating all over them, the drivers etc will corrode eventually.

Soldato
I'd get a proper pair of headphones/earphones designed for sport.

As a couple of people have already mentioned the biggest problems of using normal earphones are:

- Unlike sports headphones, they won't have sweat resistance, so will quickly become a mess and may even clog up or corrode.

- Inear designs aren't great for running for two reasons.... one they restrict what you can hear which could be dangerous, secondly most inears tend to amplify body movements which is fine when sitting still or walking, but with running it can be a right pain.

The Seenheister Sport range is really good and has all kinds of different ear and band options depending on personal preference.
http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_sport-line

Man of Honour
Take the advice of somebody who has run 8 marathons, countless half marathons and keeps on running now.
Since 1999 I have used these -

sonymdrw08l.jpg

I also get the wire from a coat hangar and black tape it to the band so that during running the headphones don't slip a fraction of a mm.
I've tried all sorts but always come back to these.

Soldato
I'd get a proper pair of headphones/earphones designed for sport.

As a couple of people have already mentioned the biggest problems of using normal earphones are:

- Unlike sports headphones, they won't have sweat resistance, so will quickly become a mess and may even clog up or corrode.

- Inear designs aren't great for running for two reasons.... one they restrict what you can hear which could be dangerous, secondly most inears tend to amplify body movements which is fine when sitting still or walking, but with running it can be a right pain.

The Seenheister Sport range is really good and has all kinds of different ear and band options depending on personal preference.
http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_sport-line

The ones with the EarFin style system have always worked well for me.

Back
Top Bottom