Earthquake in Japan....9.0...ouch!

Soldato
Got to hope they don't have another quake /tsunami if that bit of scaremongering is correct. :eek:

http://bit.ly/IqVNfa

Having just read through the article I'm just astounded at how poor it is, and then I noticed the banner at the top...

"News you won't find on CNN or FoxNews"

If these two news companies won't even report it, then I'm sorry to tell you... it holds VERY little truth :o

Caporegime
Got to hope they don't have another quake /tsunami if that bit of scaremongering is correct. :eek:

http://bit.ly/IqVNfa

Hmmm...

Have you read any of the rest of the site?

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/

It's basically just a blog by a person who says on the info page

One person's effort to correct the distorted perceptions provided by commercial media.

This web site is non-commercial (no advertising no pop-up windows) and funded by readers contributions.

This web site grew out of my personal frustration and anger at the failure of traditional commercial media to inform the American public, especially as it relates to US foreign policy.

Maybe it's true, but I'll wait until a more reputable site has some info.:p

EDIT: Wayyyyy too slow apparently :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't really know much about Earthquakes, but isn't the scale logarithmic??? i.e. a quake measuring 8.0 is 10x more powerful than one which measures 7.0 and 100x more powerful than one which measures 6.0 ???

Yea sure, but I can't believe that 50 quakes which are 10x weaker won't have the slighest effect, but one which is 10x stronger will be devastating.

Caporegime
Sorry to necro this thread but 300 tonnes of water that they've been using to keep the reactors cool has reportedly leaked into the ground from one of the onsite storage containers :eek:

Soldato
One of my mates in Yokohama has shown elevated levels of some radioactive isotopes and is currently having her kids tested whilst they are in the UK on holiday. If the kids show any markers then they aren't going to back to Japan. Folks over there are genuinely scared.

Permabanned
How long before we see mutations.

Hope this doesn't turn into a Chernobyl type scenario where kids are still born with defects years later.

Caporegime
Well the main thing is they still aren't doing a whole lot to fix it, its all just a patched up. rather than cooling the thing properly or moving the material to sealed permanent storage, they are just pumping in water too cool it, open to the rods so the water is very radioactive, then pumping the hot water into ridiculous storage tanks. The quickest ones they built first clip together and have plastic seals, and one tank has failed. The more permanent tanks they have been doing for a while are welded so less chance of failing, but its still thousands of gallons of radioactive water.

This is water that was on the ground in the site, they finally admitted to having let craploads of radioactive water get to the sea after everyone knew it had happened for ages.

Tepco should have had the whole thing taken off them, a worldwide team of experts installed and the situation dealt with primarily at Tepco's expense from very shortly after it happened. The worst thing is they keep lying about levels of radiation, leaks they pretend haven't happened for a year + after it happened.

The question is, what about another quake, the essentially temporary storage of massive amounts of radioactive water... what happens if the place gets hit again, what happens to the actual reactors that got damaged last time, the entire thing is a diaster and I dread to think what will happen if there is another huge earthquake in the area... another tsunami would be devastating, but less likely, a big quake to weakened buildings and temporary storage.

There was already unprescendented levels of radioactive crap dumped in the sea, with completely(for some time I'd imagine) unknown consequences for safety of sea life and fishing industry in the area.

Currently its been bad up till now and the consequences might not be known for a long time but you have another serious earthquake and it could get so much worse.

Wise Guy
Soldato
How long before we see mutations.

Hope this doesn't turn into a Chernobyl type scenario where kids are still born with defects years later.

There's no proof Chernobyl caused any birth defects. There's evidence it caused some thyroid cancer, but that can be offset by potassium iodide pills which I'm sure the Japanese people were issued with.

The effects of it were really exaggerated. Only 50 people actually died from Chernobyl.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2005/pr38/en/index.html

As of mid-2005, however, fewer than 50 deaths had been directly attributed to radiation from the disaster, almost all being highly exposed rescue workers, many who died within months of the accident but others who died as late as 2004.

Man of Honour
Reading about this on BBC News and it's pretty much a disaster waiting to happen.

There are also worries about the spent nuclear fuel rods that are being cooled and stored in water pools on site. Mycle Schneider says these contain far more radioactive caesium than was emitted during the explosion at Chernobyl.

And in closing they pretty much sum up how important it is that something is done because:

"The Japanese have a problem asking for help. It is a big mistake; they badly need it."

Caporegime
Won't be long until another quake hits... we cannot compare this to Chernobyl beyond simply being a nuclear reactor, the fact that Fukushima is right on an ocean that supports around two billion human lives, is far more unfortunate.

In likelihood, we will have to keep people away from eating any fish in the area, which could well destroy Japanese economic prospects, just when they were perhaps coming about.

Really unfortunate time for Japan...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom