Easy cook brown Rice?

Associate
Picked up a kilo packet of Long Grain Brown Rice from Lidl as part of my healthier eating plan

Was expecting to see a 25-30 minute cooking time on the packet however the packet is claiming 10min!
......Does say easy cook on the packet in small writing

Have googled cooking times and seen both asda and tesco brown easy cook times circa 25 -30 min

Will carry out an experiment to check.

Anyone else with experience of this rice or and 'easy cook brown rice' claiming a 10 min cook time?

Soldato
I've got Tesco easy cook brown rice and yes, says bring water to a boil, add rice, bring back to the boil and then simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. I've been adding about 120g and boil mine until it's not al dente. I think it actually has been close to 20 minutes, certainly longer than 10.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies just did a small test batch took 30 mins to cook until edible :)

Thought 10 was a bit optimistic for standard long grain brown rice

Oh well.....rice for supper tonight (will have with some tuna steak / pesto / tomato and peppers)

Associate
Definitely sounds a bit short on time. I tend to boil hard for 30 mins then drain and leave covered for 10 mins, resulting in basically perfect rice each time!

Soldato
I've concluded some of the supposed non-quick brown rice is quick/parboiled, would they actually have to declare this ?
since 20-30minutes seems the brown norm , now, versus, even 40mins, rice used to have a lot more scum too, maybe its washed more, or alternatively a sign of processing.

Associate
OP
Rice is trickey to get hold of now. My local supermarkets have empty shelves just have the pricey quick cook packs. Was fortunate to pick up 2kg of Veetee Wholegrain Brown Basmati in the world foods section (last pack on shelf) . This cooked in 25min and...really nice rice perhaps the best wholegrain rice I have tasted

Soldato
Just a side question... do you want to eat brown rice over white? They're about the same in terms of 'healthiness', (some subtle differences) the general consensus is to just eat whichever one you prefer the taste of. Just a thought.

Associate
OP
Just a side question... do you want to eat brown rice over white? They're about the same in terms of 'healthiness', (some subtle differences) the general consensus is to just eat whichever one you prefer the taste of. Just a thought.

just a quick google..."Brown rice has more fiber and antioxidants, as well as a lot more important vitamins and minerals. White rice is mostly a source of "empty" calories and carbs with very few essential nutrients"

I'm trying to include more fibre in my diet hence the switch

Back
Top Bottom