Easy to make meals - Cheap - Young guy living on his own

Soldato
Best easiest cheapest food you can make at home is pesto tbh.

Pasta.
Basil plant on your windowsill. You'll get enough of it for a portion of pesto a week easy.
Parmesan.
Pine nuts.
Olive oil
A bit of water.

Cook pasta.
Chop basil leaves and pine nuts.
Grate parmesan.
Mix together with oil and a bit of water. Food processor optional.

Stir through pasta. Done.
Pine nuts and parmesan are quite pricey when you compare it shop bought pesto which can be very cheap.

It's a great and easy meal but not that cheap.

Soldato
You aren't making the sauce?!

This is La Cuisine you heathen :mad:
Ha, like I say it's one of our indulgences. We made it from scratch the first time around but we cook so much from scratch we actively need some cheat meals!

Pine nuts and parmesan are quite pricey when you compare it shop bought pesto which can be very cheap.
Agree. I think the same with desserts, fortunately neither of us have a sweet tooth so rarely bother but sometimes when you look at the ingredients for cakes etc. and you're chucking in 3-4 eggs, expensive dark chocolate, sugar or whatever I do just think it's rather pointless not just buying one! Pesto certainly goes the same, as do thai curry pastes..

Soldato

It's a great and easy meal but not that cheap.

It's still a very cheap meal, you'll pay what, 5 quid for some pine nuts and parmesan at Aldi? Enough for loads of portions, and vastly better than shop bought pesto. As good as any Italian food you'll get in a restaurant.

Back
Top Bottom