eat donuts for breakfast? pay for your own health care

Soldato
A classic right of UKIP OCUK rant thread. All the keyboard warriors up in arms about peoples lives etc etc. I dont smoke or drink very much but I do appreciate that some people need my help which what my taxes pay for.

Most people that drink too much, take drugs and smoke (too a lesser extent) are low paid/unemployed. What's the point of sending someone like that a bill for £1000s, just going to be written off and their children suffer. Time for some of you to enter the real world. Next you will say HIV is a lifestyle choice.

Caporegime
I'm sure the extortionate VAT on food goes quite a way to paying for diabetes costs.

~£10bn is spent by the NHS on diabetes, I have a feeling that the VAT on chocolate bars, crisps, popcorn, various types of biscuits etc etc doesn't hit £10bn that the NHS spend on it. On a whole diabetes cost the UK ~£23bn in 2010/11.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Krispy Kreme glazed donut : 222kcal
Plain bagel, no butter/marg : 227kcal

Now, add some spread and a filling and the bagel is significantly more calorific than the donut.

So, given too many people are concerned about kcal, why is it worse to have a donut for breakfast?

I am guessing it is the sugar spike that causes the pancreas to create insulin to counteract it.

Caporegime
But not all forms of diabetes are caused by diet.

90% of diabetics in the UK have type 2 diabetes, and obesity is the most prevalent risk factor. Ethnicity does play a part in it, but lifestyle and environment are the problem. Less than 40% of people aged 15+ in the UK meet the DoH recommended physical activity guidelines of 30 mins x 5 times a week. ~67% of males and ~64% of females aged 15+ are overweight / obese (BMI ≥ 25 kg/m²) in the UK, the majority of diabetics in the UK are so because of their lifestyle.

Permabanned
Wholemeal Doughnuts????

Oh God, why would you do that?!

Surely abstinence is better than ruining the memory of that glorious warm, fried dough and cool, crispy icing... :(

I'll concede a coffee and a doughnut is the breakfast of champions, but I like fitting in my clothes more.

Caporegime
Krispy Kreme glazed donut : 222kcal
Plain bagel, no butter/marg : 227kcal

New York Bagel Co Plain Bagel Calories and Nutrition per Serving (1 Serving=1 Bagel/84.7g)
Calories 216
Protein 7.7g
Carbohydrate 42.7g
Fat 1.6g
Fibre 2.5g

Original Glazed Krispy Kreme (1 serving = 52g)
Calories 217
Protein 3g
Carbohydrate 22g
Fat 13g
Fibre 2g

1 Bagel has 50% more weight for the same calorie count, more than double the protein, and a tenth of the fat.

That which makes up the calories of the bagel are therefore much better than the KK.

Soldato
So does 100% of tax revenue go into the NHS?

If not then your statistics mean nothing as it could well be less revenue goes into the NHS than substance misuse costs.

So what do you suggest? That we ban smoking and drinking so it's less of a burden on the NHS? Who then makes up the huge deficit (irrespective of where it's used)?

The country as a whole is financially far better off with drinkers and smokers.

Caporegime
Im not interested in the make up, as the people who are going on about this as a good idea aren't.

The kcals, which is what most stupid people concentrate on, are better on a glazed donut than a filled bagel.

I KNOW the content of the donut is worse, i'm not stupid, but people assume that a donut is bad because it will be kcal overload when in fact it isnt :)

Soldato
I doubt the injuries from alcohol (note: not the related diseases) and from amateur sport cost anything like the illnesses related to smoking.

£9.3bn per year raised in tax revenue on tobacco".

In comparison, the £1.5bn cost to the NHS of smoking-related diseases was "paltry"

and the Alcohol problem is increasing substantially year on year, whilst smokers / smoking related costs are on the decline. This is from 2009, increase that about 15-20% for 2011/2012

The NHS spends £3 billion a year treating alcohol-related sickness

Soldato
I am guessing it is the sugar spike that causes the pancreas to create insulin to counteract it.

All carbohydrate coverts to glucose and thus needs to be covered by insulin.. the amount of insulin required to cover 1g of carbohydrate is pretty much static (within normal blood glucose levels)... thus covering say 25g of pure sugar or 25g of carbohydrate in the bread requires the same amount of insulin.

Caporegime
All carbohydrate coverts to glucose and thus needs to be covered by insulin.. the amount of insulin required to cover 1g of carbohydrate is pretty much static (within normal blood glucose levels)... thus covering say 25g of pure sugar or 25g of carbohydrate in the bread requires the same amount of insulin.

But the GI index of the carb determines what kind of spike you get in your insulin, working through the carbs over a longer period of time is better for your body.

Back
Top Bottom