Ebay buyers rights -warranty

Soldato
Hi all

I purchased a pair of headphones off ebay, 7 months ago. Now they have become faulty.

The manufacturer says they don't have a valid warranty because they weren't purchased by their approved vendors and the seller says he only offers a 3 month warranty.

Could any of the selling / buying / online / consumer regulations help me out here?

Soldato
Haha

Good one.

Seriously though, unless you bought them off a proper business, you wont have much hope. You might be able to swing it if they have a proper website and a registered address for their company but if its a bloke selling from home, you wont get far.

Soldato
Was it a business seller? There have been stories of people getting refunds etc when phones have gone faulty after quite a few months.

If it's a non-business seller, then i think you'll be out of luck - even if they were listed as new.

Soldato
OP
Was it a business seller? There have been stories of people getting refunds etc when phones have gone faulty after quite a few months.

If it's a non-business seller, then i think you'll be out of luck - even if they were listed as new.

Haha

Good one.

Seriously though, unless you bought them off a proper business, you wont have much hope. You might be able to swing it if they have a proper website and a registered address for their company but if its a bloke selling from home, you wont get far.
I wasn't expected to get anywhere but worth a go right!

They are a business seller but I doubt one with a proper website etc. So yeah it could be some bloke in a house.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
It's one of those things that still need to be resolved and as far as I know EU is working on a framework to force manufacturers to take responsibility for the quality of their products regardless of selling channel (not that it will help in Britain now that we kamikaze outselves out of EU).
Basically - from customers perspective - it shouldn't matter how and where the goods were purchased - whether first hand, second hand, grey imported, bought from hobo under the bridge or housewife turned ebay tycoon - product is a product - it was still made by the same company and the expectation of minimum service and durability is the same. The warranty lies with manufacturer and manufacturer alone.

Soldato
As a buyer, using Ebay with Paypal you effectively get a 6 month "warranty" on anything you buy, from anyone - be it business or private purchase.
Due to the absolutely crazy timeframe Paypal give you to "raise a complaint" - just raise it at six months as "item faulty" and you'd just get a full refund.
At seven months however....sanity returns.

Back
Top Bottom