eBay Collection Code?

Soldato
Hi all,

Hopefully, this is allowed. Not so long ago I was sure there was an ebay thread - have had a look and can't find it.

Long story short I've sold an item on eBay for collection and the buyer has paid for it online. Looking on eBay, their article states that after they pay they get a QR/6 Digit code and that's what they'll give me once they've collected the item.

Buyer is claiming there is no code in their messages or email? Is it hard to find?

Any advice on best thing to do in this situation.

Thanks

Soldato
It's in the payment receipt email, I think, but it's not immediately obvious.

I had the same situation before (but I was the buyer) and it took a little while of reading through all the emails carefully before I found the code.

Soldato
I've bought and sold plenty of collect in person items on Ebay - never used a collection code.

I think you only get it if you pay via ebay, not cash on collection.

The buyer pays online and is given a secret code by ebay. The seller only hands over the item when the buyer gives him the code. Seller enters code into ebay to prove that the item was delivered.

Soldato
OP
It's in the payment receipt email, I think, but it's not immediately obvious.

I had the same situation before (but I was the buyer) and it took a little while of reading through all the emails carefully before I found the code.

Ok. They're in contact with ebay at the moment trying to figure it out. You'd think they would make it incredibly obvious like in its own message.

Hopefully he gets it figured out. If anyone 100% knows how to get it, if you wouldn't mind letting me know that'd be great.

If in doubt, refund them.

Tbh I am thinking it. Reading this online looks like a scam attempt but I'm trying to be positive here. Is it fairly easy to refund and then re-list without it affecting feedback etc? I've not used eBay in a while.

Thanks

Associate
Don't bother with QR code, tell your buyer cash on collection only and just mark it as dispatch.

Also check buyers feedback ( Left for others ), if the buyer left lots of negative that's a sign there.

Soldato
If ebay tells you there is a code to scan.

Then it needs to be scanned.

It's for both you as a seller as it is for him as a buyer.

The buyer can claim he never got it as the code wasn't scanned. Putting dispatched without a tracking number is just as bad.

He needs to get the code.

Soldato
I bought something cash on collection and the Ebay receipt I got had a QR code on it. Buyer (business) asked for the QR code it was a good job I took it with me. It protects the seller as there is no proof with cash on collection (or via their payment system) that the buyer collected the item. This way the seller is protected as there have been loads of cases on the Ebay Community of buyers claiming they never got the item when they did pick it up.

I too was looking for the Ebay thread cant find it. Bit off topic but I sold an Acer monitor fully working, auction showed it working. I took picture of serial numbers. Buyer claims it was faulty. Wouldnt provide me of the monitor picture with faulty image despite me asking several times in the open case. He gave me a picture of the box with damage (puncture hole). I got the monitor back, no puncture hole in the box sent back and the serial on the box didnt match the serial on the monitor. Also signs of liquid damage on the monitor screen. I reported the buyer and the case details let me dispute the reason for it being sent back with my details of different serial numbers. Was on hold till yesterday. Ebay emailed me just now finding case in my favour so I dont have to refund the buyer but they refunded the buyer anyway out of their pocket.

So Sellers sometimes do win cases.

Soldato
OP
for me its always been cash on collection
is it a small amount of money?
i would deffo be pressing the buyer to supply the code

if you do cancel you always run the risk of bad feedback, but thats better than being ripped off

£350, so not something I'm willing to let go without the code. I've got no issues refunding though. Just not going to be scammed and have him pretend a week later that he hasn't got anything and then ebay refund him.

Don't bother with QR code, tell your buyer cash on collection only and just mark it as dispatch.

Also check buyers feedback ( Left for others ), if the buyer left lots of negative that's a sign there.

He's already paid via card. Cash was an option that I mentioned though.

If ebay tells you there is a code to scan.

Then it needs to be scanned.

It's for both you as a seller as it is for him as a buyer.

The buyer can claim he never got it as the code wasn't scanned. Putting dispatched without a tracking number is just as bad.

He needs to get the code.

Thanks, I thought the same thing.

Was there a code?

No idea, he is contacting eBay. I spoke to their chat and they've said they have issued the code to him... so will wait and see. Worst case I'll just cancel the entire thing.

I bought something cash on collection and the Ebay receipt I got had a QR code on it. Buyer (business) asked for the QR code it was a good job I took it with me. It protects the seller as there is no proof with cash on collection (or via their payment system) that the buyer collected the item. This way the seller is protected as there have been loads of cases on the Ebay Community of buyers claiming they never got the item when they did pick it up.

I too was looking for the Ebay thread cant find it. Bit off topic but I sold an Acer monitor fully working, auction showed it working. I took picture of serial numbers. Buyer claims it was faulty. Wouldnt provide me of the monitor picture with faulty image despite me asking several times in the open case. He gave me a picture of the box with damage (puncture hole). I got the monitor back, no puncture hole in the box sent back and the serial on the box didnt match the serial on the monitor. Also signs of liquid damage on the monitor screen. I reported the buyer and the case details let me dispute the reason for it being sent back with my details of different serial numbers. Was on hold till yesterday. Ebay emailed me just now finding case in my favour so I dont have to refund the buyer but they refunded the buyer anyway out of their pocket.

So Sellers sometimes do win cases.

Thanks for letting me know. Not sure why he is claiming he can't find it. Doesn't help I've never collected off of ebay so have no idea what it looks like but from looking online it seems like it is quite obvious to find.

The only reason I can think of him claiming to not have it, is he has realised that I know about the QR code and he can't scam me and say he 'hasn't picked it up'? No idea, but what a hassle.

Re your serial numbers good job you took the photos, can't believe some people.

Soldato
Thanks for letting me know. Not sure why he is claiming he can't find it. Doesn't help I've never collected off of ebay so have no idea what it looks like but from looking online it seems like it is quite obvious to find.
The only reason I can think of him claiming to not have it, is he hs realised that I know about the QR code and he can't scam me and say he 'hasn't picked it up'? No idea, but what a hassle.
Re your serial numbers good job you took the photos, can't believe some people.

Sounds a bit dodgy.

This is what I got from a Monitor I collected recently.

OoHp50n.jpg

Soldato
OP
Sounds a bit dodgy.

This is what I got from a Monitor I collected recently.

Thank you for that. He has shown me an order summary page of him stating he has paid, but not that.

Was that by email or in messages? I literally want to spell it out to him like click MyEbay > My Messages > etc etc.

Soldato
OP
Hi all,

Buyer still claiming no code. Quick ebay question (as I am getting fed up now).

There are two options 1) cancel and 2) refund.

Does option 2) refund, where I refund the full amount, cancel the item completely? I'm willing to take the bad feedback if that's the case because this is getting ridiculous now. He isn't understanding that if he fails to provide it, he isn't getting the item.

I've asked ebay support, but they don't seem to be particularly helpful or clear in the situation. I want to make sure if I refund then it is done and dusted. I don't want it 'left open' if that makes any sense?

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom